Good Processor

I know this has been discussed before and have read most of the posts. However, I haven't seen one that addressed this question. For good stereo what is a better option? Going with an older high end pro like a meridian 861 version 2.8/4 or Halcro 100 OR buying a newer unit such as the Integra 80.2/3. If I purchased the Integra it would be easy to setup with little in cables given the HD audio formats. With the older units I would be processing HT in my Oppo and using the 5.1 output into the processor.
jamesw20
OK-I can clarify with more information on my system.

I do not have a dedicated HT. I have a section of my open and very large basement I use with a projector, screen and my audio equipment. I have no sound treatment what-so-ever.

As far as the room correction goes; I compared the Lexicon against the Marantz with the room correction turned off. I much preferred the clearer and more natural "analog sound" of the Lexicon.

A good feature of the Lexicon EQ is that it only EQ's bass frequencies (I believe below 200hz). The Marantz uses Audyssey XT32 which EQ's the entire spectrum. I prefer the Lexicon's approach; at least with the acoustics of my room. Just EQ'ing the bass really improves the clarity of the mid and higher frequencies.

I do need the EQ for my subwoofer as I have some pretty significant bass peaks in my listening area. The Lexicon EQ does an excellent job of correcting those.
David,

A better comparison would have been analog output from the Oppo to the Marantz as well as the Lexicon. It may have been the analog processing of the Oppo that you preferred to that of the Marantz.

The comments at AVS re the Cary 11a had to do with bugs. I output analog from my 105 to my 11a, and the 11a inputs are set to bypass, so I am no longer bothered by the bugs. The critics at AVS agreed the sound from the 11a was excellent.

db
db-

Yes, I agree that it probably is the analog sound of the Oppo/Lexicon that I prefer compared to the all digital path.

I see where you have an Oppo 105. Do you think, considering that I am mainly using my system for HT, that the 105 would provide a noticeable improvement over my 103? The difference in cost is around $700.
David,

I have 93, 95, and 105 Oppos -- I plan to give the 93 to my mother. If you want to use analog from the Oppo, then the 95 or 105 are superior to the 93 and 103, and the improvement is noticeable. It seems to me that the 105 is the best sounding of the three, but I bought it (to replace the 95) for its HDMI and asynchronous USB ports to accommodate a DirecTV HD-DVR and Mac Mini. The 95 will replace the 93 in the living room setup.

The sound of high-quality SACD played on the 105 is remarkable similar to that of high-qualty vinyl played on the Thorens TD 124 with SME Series III arm with SME 30H cartridge. Both sound superb to me, with excellent timbre and soundstage detail.

db
I replaced my Oppo 105 with an Oppo 103 due to the analogue in the 105 lacking midbass and dynamics. The 103 now feeds hdmi video and my Emotiva UMC-200 replaced the 105. Wow did it replace it. Immediate dynamics and midbass were noticed just out of the box without calibration and with manual settings of speakers, trim, levels. Emotiva UMC-200 is a clear winner with a small price tag to boot. Absolutely high-end...