Ceramic insulator cone under phono stage shocker!

I have used small ceramic insulator cones underneath my phono stage for quite some time.
Previous phono was a Gold note ph10 and it did not make ANY audible difference I could detect which way up the cones were so I had left them cone upwards.

When I changed my phono to a Manley Chinook I just left the cones same way.
This afternoon I decided to flip them over so cone down just to see.

I honestly could not and cannot believe the difference!
I may have lost a smidge of low bass but everywhere else is improved in spades.
Much more detail, resolution, air, imaging, dynamics.
Just completely shocking how much better a small change has made.

But I am perplexed why such a huge change on the Chinook where I noted nothing on the ph10?

Any theories here?
128x128uberwaltz
Just to clarify please, Geoff, are you saying that you prefer GS cones to MD springs in some areas or you have moved on from the cones?
toetapaudio
Just to clarify please, Geoff, are you saying that you prefer GS cones to MD springs in some areas or you have moved on from the cones?

What I’ve been advising is a comprehensive program of vibration isolation and resonance control. What that means is both mass-on-spring isolation (springs) and cones are sometimes desired. If I had to choose between cones and springs in a simple set up, I’d choose springs. Especially since we know know from Townshend’s video of speaker isolation that spring systems are rather effective in resonance control as well as isolation. One advantage of going to smaller springs is the ability to forego the complications of plates and cones which are needed for more complex iso stands like my Nimbus and Promethean Base of yore. And for other iso stands like Vibraplane and Minus K I suggest DH Cones should go under both the stand and the component.

That’s how I came to appreciate the characteristics of cones - by having to evaluate the variety of cones available to use with my iso stands. But to answer your question more directly, I no longer sell cones, I used to, because the springs alone are almost always the best solution. This is not to say some damping techniques might be of value for certain applications - e.g., the CD itself, the CD transport, transformers, printed circuit boards, capacitors, etc.

Lastly, DH Cones have other applications beside under components. On top of speakers, on top of Tube Traps, on top of components, and others. So, in that sense I have not ruled out DH Cones, they’re still in the game. Did I mention under furniture?
Post removed 
Eek! 
Mix,n,match??
Argh, even more potential combos.
One wood, two wood, cones up, cones down.
Mind implosion.