Speaker toe in

Has anyone heard of The Tannoy Method used for speaker tie in? I have a picture I wish I could upload showing this method used on some Acoustic Research speakers. The speakers are toed in quite a bit past the listening axis. Is there a benefit? One person claims it take the room out of the equation. Thoughts?
128x128luvrockin
Ohm suggest that their Walsh series be toed in for an increase in lows, toe out for an increase in highs.  I rotated my Walsh 5000s and found the image popped into focus with a slight toe-in.  I have always found that it is best to close your eyes and trust your ears when making adjustments.  As all things audio, your mileage may vary.

When I had my Spendors, the manual suggested that set up.  I think I tried it, but it looked absolutely horrible.  I guess I didn't think it was anything special, as I never tried it again.  But I guess it's worth trying to see if it works for you.  
I wonder if some of the very high frequencies can end up phased out unintentionally . Different source material that depends on slight delay and effects could end up cancelling out before it reaches you . The highest frequencies are short enough to basically key together and also create peaks and harshness . Just a thought . Also i set my speakers straight when this topic came up just to try it . Sweet spot is kind of everywhere now . Way more enjoyable especially if listening from various spots within the room . The sound stage is enormous from my chair   
I agree that proper toe-in is something determined by experimentation.  This is the case with ALL aspects of proper speaker placement in a room.  

As for a reason for extreme toe-in, this can be useful if you are attempting to widen the area that one can sit in and still have some stereo imaging.  With extreme toe-in, the listener who is pushed closer to the left speaker will now be on-axis with the right speaker and off-axis with respect to the left speaker.  That means that the closer proximity to the left speaker is somewhat compensated for by the more direct sound of the right speaker.  The opposite holds true for the listener closer to the right speaker.