Recommendations for modest budget

2 years ago I bought an OLED and at the time paired it with an LG SJ9 sound bar due to space constraints.  Now I have a space that could easily hold any size 5.1 system so I'm looking to upgrade.  Trying to keep the budget modest, let's say $2k (not firm).  Any recommendations on where to start searching would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not expecting top of the line equipment with this budget but I would like something that's a substantial improvement over the sound bar.  Thanks!
128x128mlenow
1)I don't mind used equipment at all.  

2)4k is important and I stream that content through an Xbox One X
  • 1) Denon X1500H, $400 or if you want phono the X1600H for $500. I would also suggest the $20 Audyssey app, as it targets for a mostly flat in-room response, which is not ideal. 
  • 2) Emotiva T2, $800, was $1000 and got good reviews even then. Looks are more studio than residential though. 
  • 3) Matching C1 center for $250 and B1 bookshelves as surrounds for $230. 
  • 4) Dayton sub-1200 from PartsExpress for $150 shipped. 
  • 5) Speaker and subwoofer cables, <$50.
You can find a system within your budget. Just shop around and get your money’s worth.

There will be a member that says you need to spend $4000, and another member that will tell you a $4000 system is junk, you should spend at least $8000. And another that says... you get the picture. Bigger fish eat bigger fish, like everything, cars, houses, planes, islands, etc.

Just get a system you can afford and enjoy it, you’ll be fine. 

Best-
I am in the same situation as the OP and a novice.  I found a great article that gave me a good starting point.  Using the other links provided above you can definitely get in under 2.5K for a 4K system. 

https://www.audioholics.com/recommended-systems/2500-5.1-channel-recommended-system

Question for the forum - as I evaluate some of the smaller receivers (50W per channel vs. 100W per channel) how can I evaluate if I will over power or under power a selected set of speakers?

Additionally, as I look at future expand-ability are there any concerns buying a 5.1 channel receiver and only hooking up 2.1 channels (or 7.2 and hooking a 2.1 or 5.1 speaker set-up)? 

My next biggest concern is dual voltage equipment as some of the places I live have primarily 220V...  Still researching that one. 

Sam

Amp power required depends upon Speaker characteristics, primarily impedence and sensitivity.  Keep in mind that that a low watt amp may sound fine most of the time but struggle with sudden increases in demand, either with music or with video.  Also keep in mind that power ratings for AVRs can be misleading, as manufacturers tend to sum what is delivered in each channel and report that number, so a 50 watt AVR may truly be 25 watts, for example, in 2 channel.  I once had a slimline Marantz AVR rated at 50 watts and it sounded awful and clipped easily.