Recommendations for modest budget

2 years ago I bought an OLED and at the time paired it with an LG SJ9 sound bar due to space constraints.  Now I have a space that could easily hold any size 5.1 system so I'm looking to upgrade.  Trying to keep the budget modest, let's say $2k (not firm).  Any recommendations on where to start searching would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not expecting top of the line equipment with this budget but I would like something that's a substantial improvement over the sound bar.  Thanks!
128x128mlenow

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

Two questions for the OP:
1) Do you mind used equipment?
2) Do you need 4K Video?

AVRs become obsolete quickly and have very little resale value.  The market for non 4 K AVR is infinite and you can probably get a great piece for virtually nothing .If you insist on 4K you can supplement it with something like Apple TV as a source and as a music streamer to boot.  A decent BRP can be had for under $100.  That would leave the bulk of your budget for a Speaker/Sub combo, or again you might be able to score big in the used market here.  The upgrade as funds allow
Amp power required depends upon Speaker characteristics, primarily impedence and sensitivity.  Keep in mind that that a low watt amp may sound fine most of the time but struggle with sudden increases in demand, either with music or with video.  Also keep in mind that power ratings for AVRs can be misleading, as manufacturers tend to sum what is delivered in each channel and report that number, so a 50 watt AVR may truly be 25 watts, for example, in 2 channel.  I once had a slimline Marantz AVR rated at 50 watts and it sounded awful and clipped easily.