What do you consider "loud" for your system?

Just curious about this. I recently listened to the SACD version of Dark Side of the Moon. My volume level was at approximately 65% of full throttle. On my handy little Radio Shack Sound Level meter, I registered and average 90db with peaks of 96db. That was using the "C" weighted setting. Basic info - I sit 10' feet from the front of the speakers. The room is 15' X 23' with 8' 6"ceiling height. It was enjoyably loud, but not ear shattering. What do others consider "loud" and at what volume level?
richmos
I mostly listen to classical music, with a small percentage of my listening being to pop and rock and miscellaneous genres. My average listening level at the listening position is around 75 db. However, more than a few classical recordings in my collection which have been well engineered with minimal or no dynamic compression can reach brief dynamic peaks that are 25 to 30 db greater than the average level of those recordings, and consequently reach 100 to 105 db at the listening position.

The 6 db peak to average ratio of the DSOTM recording you mentioned will result in it subjectively seeming to be **much** louder, when played at a 90 db average level, than the recordings I referred to which have much louder peaks.

So perceived loudness is very much a function of the dynamic range of the particular recording.

My room, btw, is 13 x 22 x 8, with the speakers on the short wall and with the central third of the rear wall being open to another room.  And my listening distance is 12 feet.

Regards,
-- Al

Fifteen minutes at 100dB is said to cause potential permanent hearing loss. I suspect 45 minutes at 90 would too. Certainly not an expert in the matter but as one who has whacked his hearing with loud music, guns and tractors....I don't listen at 90 dB for very long anymore........ just trying to protect what I have left.

For me 'loud' is usually around 80 dB and about as loud as I want it anyway. For most typical well recorded music that is a little past halfway on my volume dial. For over compressed stuff (everything new) that is about 1/3 on the dial. Usually listen at around 60-70 according to a smart phone dB meter (probably not very accurate but close enough).

Was recently at a small venue concert. Around 115 dB the whole hour-and-a-half show. I wore ear plugs. I saw a few others with plugs too...but not many. When I was kid I saw Foreigner. Ears rang for nearly two weeks after the show. Ironic that a wannabe audiophile (me) ruins his ears listening to music.
What do you mean, "loud"? The same volume that is never loud enough when playing Nilsson Jump Into The Fire is way too loud when playing Jennifer Warnes Song of Bernadette. Loud is like the garishly made up lady Doug MacLeod talks about who asks him, "Are you loud?" to which he replies, "Ma'am, compared to your makeup, we're mute."
@millercarbon

I think I was very clear about asking what I meant by loud. Volume levels measured in decibels.