Impact of phase inversion by preamp

This will be my first post on this forum so I thought I’d pose a question I’ve always wondered about.  I have a Conrad Johnson Premier 18LS preamp that I’ve been extremely happy with since first acquiring it some years ago.  This is a solid state single ended, single stage design that inverts the phase of the input signal at the output.  The manual states that you should reverse the connections to the speakers to account for this.  Obviously this is easily done but I really can’t see how it would really matter as long as things are connected consistently between the left and right channels.  I’d be interested to hear what others have to say on this subject.
ligjo
In a balanced preamp the phase switch simply redirects the inverted phase to the non-inverted circuitry and vice versa. Its completely passive.

Nothing is completely passive. The more revealing the circuitry, the more it exposes component 'flaws'.

Experience with phase flip switches in active and passive balanced hardware often left something to be desired in terms of routing and hence inaudibility.

Making both halves of a balanced circuit identical is EXPENSIVE. Add in tube vagaries and the probability of a sonic delta is fairly certain. Not to all listeners, but to some.

Decades back it was demonstrated there were distinct sounds in a system on the same source:
  1.  Normal polarity to speakers
  2.  Invert channel A at source* and speakers - same Φ as 1
  3.  Invert channel B at source* and speakers - same Φ as 1
  4.  Invert both A&B at source* and speakers - same Φ as 1
*Balanced out - polarity swapped with identical but inverted polarity cables.

Theoretically all should sound the same, but they didn't. If one subscribed to OOPS, at least 2 & 3 should sound the same, but they didn't. It was postulated that the loudspeaker is an asymmetric load and depending on the other hardware, affects the sound.

ieales
Nothing is completely passive. The more revealing the circuitry, the more it exposes component ’flaws’.
Semantics. There is passive circuitry, and there is active circuitry. There’s no value in confusing the two.
Experience with phase flip switches in active and passive balanced hardware often left something to be desired in terms of routing and hence inaudibility.
Whose experience? With what hardware?
Decades back it was demonstrated there were distinct sounds in a system on the same source ...
When was that, and by whom? Where was the demonstration, what were the source and other components used?
@cleeds 
Nothing is completely passive. We may think of C in terms of uF, but there are L&R factors which pertain. Pull apart a switch and examine the contacts. One set may have a contaminants/wear/geometry that the other does not.

A great recording & electronic design engineer built an incredible sounding recording console that used mercury wetted relays as close to the active circuitry as possible to eliminate passive colorations from running traces [audible] to surface switches [audible] and back.

Mic pre's, EQ, recording consoles in the studio.

In the early 80's. Then state of the art LA recording studio. Participants were well regarded engineers and IIRC, some industry sales reps. Source was hot-rodded ATR-102 ½" master tape feeding Bryston amp stack and time aligned studio monitors. Test was change or no change. Blind. Most got most of the changes.
ieales
Nothing is completely passive ... Pull apart a switch and examine the contacts. One set may have a contaminants/wear/geometry that the other does not.
A mechanical switch is a passive component.

I’m sorry that you don’t have any details on the listening test:
... state of the art LA recording studio. Participants were well regarded engineers and IIRC, some industry sales reps. Source was hot-rodded ATR-102 ½" master tape feeding Bryston amp stack and time aligned studio monitors. Test was change or no change. Blind.
Without details, your claim really doesn’t mean much, except perhaps to you.
@ieales I believe the passive concept you are defending so vehemently has nothing to do with the passive comment from atmasphere. Different application. 

I'm sure you want to say something relevant I just couldn't understand your last posting if you could please elaborate more?