Impact of phase inversion by preamp

This will be my first post on this forum so I thought I’d pose a question I’ve always wondered about.  I have a Conrad Johnson Premier 18LS preamp that I’ve been extremely happy with since first acquiring it some years ago.  This is a solid state single ended, single stage design that inverts the phase of the input signal at the output.  The manual states that you should reverse the connections to the speakers to account for this.  Obviously this is easily done but I really can’t see how it would really matter as long as things are connected consistently between the left and right channels.  I’d be interested to hear what others have to say on this subject.
ligjo
I wish I had a phase reversal switch on my preamp so many recordings vary in terms of correct or inverted phase.
Isn't there a difference between phase and polarity?  What do these switches on preamps do vs. swapping the leads on one end of the speaker cables?
Hey George....that’s exactly the way I was thinking about it.  The question is whether your ear can tell the difference.  From the other comments, it sounds like you may be able to which makes sense.

"They" whoever they are, I can't rembemer, it was said back in the 80's.
Say that "if" the inital bass driver movement is into the room, that you get a better leading edge attack to the sound of a bass note.?????
This is most probably why it's said you can only hear the difference in the bass.

Cheers George