Great musicians who should have been famous except....

I'm throwing this out there as an example. My 16 yr old aspiring drummer son asked me if I had anything in the vinyl collection tonight... apparently the U Tube video tutorials finally got boring. He is really good and practices non stop but it was refreshing when he asked about ideas for sound. In a moment of 30 years past clarity I put on the B side of Van Halen 1984… Is Alex Van Halen the most under rated rock drummer of all time? And is there a better lead in to ANY rock vinyl side than that???
telemarcer
Let’s not forget the Allman Brothers drummers, Butch Trucks and Jaimoe (sp?) Johnson.   Fabulous tandem
So my original thesis was Alex was under appreciated because he lived in the highly lucrative yet completely overwhelming VH umbrella. I still offer that without the VH tattoo, could he have been better? Technically I say no. But with other people... yes.  
Since drummers are in the spotlight-Rock particularly, don't forget Jeff Porcaro, who was a 70-80's studio go-to. 

Those not familiar, drummer in Toto.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Porcaro
Impressive  resume as far as pop music.
His Wiki list isnt complete.
Gadd is also on some of the Steely Dan albums. Brian Blade is real good, he works with Buddy Miller too. Porcaro was fantastic, famous for the part he came up with for Boz Scaggs' "Lido Shuffle". Too bad he had to sully his good reputation by being in Toto ;-) . One of my long-time favorites is Harry Stinson, currently drummer in Marty Stuart's fantastic band The Fabulous Superlatives (and the Nashville studios).