Great musicians who should have been famous except....

I'm throwing this out there as an example. My 16 yr old aspiring drummer son asked me if I had anything in the vinyl collection tonight... apparently the U Tube video tutorials finally got boring. He is really good and practices non stop but it was refreshing when he asked about ideas for sound. In a moment of 30 years past clarity I put on the B side of Van Halen 1984… Is Alex Van Halen the most under rated rock drummer of all time? And is there a better lead in to ANY rock vinyl side than that???
telemarcer
"Great musicians who should have been famous except...."
   That's a good question but it depends on who you ask....the public or other musicians?  All of the names mentioned here are outstanding. Kudos to those that recognize Steve Gadd as one of the great drummers.
   Steve has been, and still is, one of the most sought after drummers. Especially for studio work. It may be harder to name people he hasn't performed with than those he has.
   In his 70's now he still performs. He is a native of Rochester, NY, where I reside. Every year Rochester hosts a multi day event called the Rochester International Jazz Show. Because Gadd is a Rochester native, the tickets are almost impossible to come by. He still has the skill to play.
   If anyone would like to listen to some of his early work try to find an album called Stuff. Stuff was the original band that played of the early Saturday Night Live TV shows. The album is a mix of music but maybe tuned to the more jazz taste.
   Good to hear that Gadd is included in the group of fantastic drummers mentioned here.

Let’s not forget the Allman Brothers drummers, Butch Trucks and Jaimoe (sp?) Johnson.   Fabulous tandem
So my original thesis was Alex was under appreciated because he lived in the highly lucrative yet completely overwhelming VH umbrella. I still offer that without the VH tattoo, could he have been better? Technically I say no. But with other people... yes.  
Since drummers are in the spotlight-Rock particularly, don't forget Jeff Porcaro, who was a 70-80's studio go-to. 

Those not familiar, drummer in Toto.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Porcaro
Impressive  resume as far as pop music.
His Wiki list isnt complete.