Great musicians who should have been famous except....

I'm throwing this out there as an example. My 16 yr old aspiring drummer son asked me if I had anything in the vinyl collection tonight... apparently the U Tube video tutorials finally got boring. He is really good and practices non stop but it was refreshing when he asked about ideas for sound. In a moment of 30 years past clarity I put on the B side of Van Halen 1984… Is Alex Van Halen the most under rated rock drummer of all time? And is there a better lead in to ANY rock vinyl side than that???
telemarcer
Van Halen was pretty famous and I think most people that were the least bit familiar with them knew there was more than one person with a last name of Van Halen in the band.

If you want to check out an under-appreciated drummer, try Billy Cobham.  Start with his album Spectrum.  
Hey, like the dialogue. I appreciate the input. I don't think anyone can make an argument that Keith Moon and John Bonham are under appreciated. I also call out the idea that if Peart walked into an audition in my town (Savannah) for an audition that he wouldn't be signed. That's a stretch bro to suggest a highly personal opinion like "musicality" vs pure ability wins every time. Like saying hey, I like my old Cadillac because its plush and smooth but it will out run that Ferrari you mentioned just because.

I do believe that over 90% of non "music geeks" would even know that Alex Van Halen was a person. Eddie sure. Look at tablejockys repy. He proved my point. Gave out all the reasons VH was popular in the day but didn't mention Alex. Obviously the last name is famous but he is buried by eruption.

I totally agree that Jazz drummers are under appreciated for the most part. Hard to argue Buddy Rich isn't a household name but he is the exception. 

Still looking for a suggestion for a better vinyl side lead in from a rock genera perspective.

Thanks to all your replies.

That lead in sounds like someone fired up a Harley. Made my Sonus Fabers which normally play nothing but Miles, Thelonious, Getz/Gilbero pushed by a MAC6700 remind me of high school.