Searching for matching(?) Subwoofer solution

Hi folks,

I have a relatively new setup in my home office (12' x 14' with hardwood floor) and am seeking recommendations for a subwoofer solution.

Speakers: Ologe 5
Preamp:    Bryston P26 
Amp:         Forte 1A
Budget:     Flexible but just want something to provide a good match for the above components.
Music:       Mostly Classical and Jazz.  Some rock, some fusion.
Source:     Well, that's something else I am seeking advice on too and will post under the appropriate discussion topic

Problem is none of the local Hi Fi shops here in the Boston area have any experience with, let alone heard of Ologe speakers.  Couldn't get any recommendations there.

Has anyone owned or at least listened to these speakers? Or any of the other Ologe speakers?
The Ologe site (http://www.ologe-acoustic.com/) features a subwoofer called Ologe 20 at USD $8550.  
Just wanted to look into alternatives before dropping over 8 grand on the Ologe 20.
 I am open to but don't know much about subwoofer swarms.

I am not looking for anything overkill.  Just a subwoofer solution to nicely complement my somewhat modest home office system.

Thanks,
H
hleeid
Dear @noble100  : """  , a 4-sub distributed bass array is the best solution. """

For who or whom?. Certainly was and is the best solution for you or millercarbon but thta does not means is the best solution for other gentlemans.

Your needs, priorities, room system, MUSIC/sound experiences, ears sensitivity,  knowledge levels and many other things are not the same for all of us.
So, there is not that " best solution ". That's what you like it nd that's all.

In the other side the HT needs are different than the specific needs for people like me or the OP that only want to use our room/system  to listen MUSIC in  two channel equipment where normlly we re looking for the higher quality level we can chieve with the higher room/system resolution.

Quality first and quantity not main target.

Problem is that in  a thread you read " subwoofer " and your personal solution is the 4 AK Swarm no matters what.

No one own a perfect system and certainly not yours or mine. Who told you that to listen only MUSIC in a system the best is your solution: who?

Certainly it's not the " best solution ". With passive speaker designs two good quality subs are what we need.

Seems to me that your posts are way  HT oriented that goes more in specific to your solution. For just MUSIC your approach is wrong/non-adequated, at least for me.

In your solution you don't care about the quality of the subs but I care a lot of and I'm not only talking of the subs facilities but its overall quality performance levels that's why I choosed Velodyne. Yes for other audiophiles preferences can be different there are several very good subs out there.

Normally no one cares about subs distortion levels and as  fact the subs manufacturers just does not disclose in the subs THD specs. That I remember only Velodyne did it but other more expensive subs as the ones by JL udio does not do it. The 0.5% THD in Velodyne is an achievement. 
The JL Audio ( I can't remember the model. ) through  Stereophile review  measured a  value around 5%-6% ! !

I'm sure that you don't care about in the same way I do it.

People like me are looking for subs that can't degrade the bass information range that we take out from the main speakers. So we are looking for better mid/high frequency range quality levels along better overall bass frequency range quality levels too. We want it " all ".

Anyway, obviously you are free to post what you want. No problem but I explain my self in the overall subject because does not exist " a good for all solutions " and that AK DBA/Swarm solution is at a very low price point that goes along same quality levels.If we need quality then we have to pay for it.

R.

Hello rauliruegas,

You really need to chillax, my friend, you might burst something important.  
     Didn't you read my last post stating I agree with you?  More specifically, I believe that the Swarm DBA system is an exceptionally good bass solution for music and HT but may not be the best solution for everyone.  I think each individual's bass requirements, room and system circumstances and budgets create unique situations that deserve unique bass system solutions.  
     I know high quality, large and expensive subs are not always necessary for good overall performance but also understand using better quality subs normally can only improve results.  I agree that low sub distortion is important, there are many good subs on the market and good bass performance can be achieved using one or more subs in a given room provided they're positioned and configured properly.

My intent for this post was to make it crystal clear that I agree with you and then request you just cut it out. Agreed?

Thanks,
  Tim
noble100

I seriously doubt someone as knowledgeable and experienced as Mr. Vandersteen would make the numerous obviously false statements contained in your supposed quote of him you cited above in your last post.

Please verify this quote as valid by referencing your source for this quote. I’m almost certain you’ll be unable to do so, however, and you’ll likely just fail to ever provide any reference, never admitting to your deliberate false quote ...

It’s amazing how just how common the "all bass is monophonic" canard is and how reluctant some audiophiles are to reject it. After all, it can be resolved by listening, especially if you make your own recordings.

I’m not the one who posted Vandersteen’s observations, but Google shows this quote came from Vandersteen’s own website. (Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.)

There is a lot of research into sound and directional cues, including LF. It's puzzling how hard some will work to deny or ignore it.

Ologe 5’s frequency response was spec’ed at 48 to 30,000Hz at ±1dB. Extremely flat response with Very interesting driver configuration and I can only guess that they are also designed to be wall mounted. 

Having had some form of office system throughout my career, I found that 99.9% of the time, I’m the only one to listen to music from behind my desk. Movement limited, frequency shift is quite minimal. Henceforth I’m not too concern about bass response issues other than my listening location.

Although I also advocate using multiple subs, it was unfeasible to use more than one subwoofer in my small office. One setup I’d tried to excellent effect was to place a subwoofer right next to my office chair, actually right behind. I kept the crossover frequency sufficiently low, 45hz or lower, and carefully tune it to blend with the main speakers. With all music materials, I can’t hear when the sub kicks in.

With the low 48hz +/-1 of the Ologe 5, just make sure to find a sub with sufficiently low distortion and damped cabinet. Place it next to/behind your chair and tune accordingly.

Thanks for listening
Mosler666
@cleeds,

My man! I wasn’t going to take the trolls (noble100) bait - but thanks for having my back! The quote referenced is on the Vandersteen website here: https://vandersteen.com/products/vandersteen-sub-three

I also find it interesting that Richard Vandersteen on his Ask Richard website here: https://www.vandersteen.com/support/ask-richard

His latest ask and answer question is:

’Hello Richard, I am thinking of purchasing the Treo CT and using it together with my Audio Kinesis Swarm subs (4 10 inch subs in separate enclosures driven by 2 amps in stereo). Would I be better off using a Dspeaker X4 crossover to crossover the Treo at, say 100 hz or to drive the Treo full range and adjust the subs separately. I see you are using a passive xover in the Quatro at 100hz. Thanks.

Hello,

You need to be careful because you don’t want any digital processing in you signal path going to the Treo CT so I would use our M5-HPB for an 80Hz or 100Hz high-pass. Use whateve3r you use to manage your subs as this should require very little correction because multiple subs automatically give a linier response in the room. This should be amazing as we have always been a supporter of multiple subs.

RV’

The above being said - I have come to enjoy this hobby of hi-fi/audiophile and the sharing of information to learn and have fun and groove with the Aha! moments of audible sonic bliss (almost) everytime I upgrade from learning something I learned from one of you cool hi-fi/audiophiles here.

But I want to make this clear. I do have what is commonly referred to as a life - away from this website and it’s a shame - that a certain person here....needs to get one.