I'm 14 in a detached garage converted into a teenage playground with a waterbed, blacklights, SS Japanese silver behemoths,  and speakers hanging inside nets. Admit it you were there once. Anyone have thoughts on the nets as a viable option for speakers? (Can't believe I remember this....pretty hazy in that garage.) Joe
jpwarren58
1973. 15 yrs old. Very similar to millercarbon post. Loved FZ and Spirit - still do. My dad never got it, but loved vinyl ever since.
Lava lamps? Still got em. Good old Goodwill. Cheers.
I was 8 yrs old then and just got a cassette tape recorder. I marvelled at the big stereo systems with reel to reel tape decks and speakers that weighed as much as I did then. Finally this year I bought a nice TEAC A-3300SX  reel to reel deck, my first ever, and so far collected some nice pre-recorded tapes: The Doors “Strange Days”, The Moody Blues “Days of Future Passed” and Cream “Best of Cream”. 

The sound is magical and alive even at 3-3/4 IPS, and the lava lamps are doing their thing.... good times!
1973 - Senior in high school. Bought my first stereo from the now defunct appliance retailer I was working at. Pioneer SX-525, KLH 17's and an idler drive cheapo Garrad TT with a Shure Cartridge. No nets or ceiling chains. Just sat it all on a stand of some sort. The audio bug had already hit me. I was already thinking of the next upgrade. 
In high school my friends brother was at MIT and he helped us design what we called Bose 1801s Twice the size of the originals. He calculated the interior volume etc., and we build those suckers. Had a realistic 18 band EQ and we had them suspended from the basement ceiling by cables. They sounded awesome. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon was spectacular!

I bought some power amps from Tech HiFi and Johnny R from Audio (John Rutan)  Connection was the sale guy!   Either Phase Linear or SAE power amps I forget now.

Thanks for posting the memories!

@audioconnection - remmeber Tech HiFi?
I was out of the service (Navy), lived in Denver most of that year, stereo purchased on Okinawa was in storage in Iowa. Stereo was finialy set up once I entered college in 74.