Can we finally put Reel to Reel out of its misery? Put it to rest people.

The format is dying and too expensive to repair properly. Heads wear out so easy and many out there are all worn.
High quality technicians are either retired or long gone. Its such an inconvenient format that can be equalled by nakamichi easily in tape decks.
Retire it please put them in museums. 
vinny55
Chalker, the things you won’t understand about music could fill the whole universe.

1: rappers that sample recordings that are the artistic property of others are not manufacturing anything that they can legally call their own artistic property. 

2: Rock and Roll is not the same thing as country or folk music. Your suggestion that it is, is as absurd as saying that rap/hiphop is the same thing as disco. 

3: Jazz artists that involve themselves with rappers are only reducing themselves to the same level as rappers. They are no more artists than the rest of the filthy degenerates that produce rap/hiphop. 

4: rap/hiphop doesn’t require sound quality. It is a colossal waste of hundreds of thousands of SL-1200mk2 turntables every year, and doesn’t even remotely require the capability of a child’s toy record player let alone a reel to reel tape deck. 
@chakster

@sleepwalker65

Your assertions are unfair and inaccurate. I am a rather waspy (without the p) late 50’s music and audio lover. Hip hop is every bit as relevant to those who enjoy the genre as anything you like. For you to take a swipe at the artists in your point three above is simply ill informed at best and pitiful at worst. There are so many young people discovering great music as they go on a search for the original sample. You sound like an older than average, inflexible elitist.

Keep in mind, Bob Dylan was a protest music artist until he went mainstream and plugged in. You were probably there booing. Hip-hop happened and evolved into what it is today, and it is intensely profitable for the music business and the artists. Are you of the camp that believes an artist must starve and only conform to what you think is right and honorable.

Alot of exceptional artists straddle the lines like Robert Glasper. You should apologize for your little tantrum because its guys like you who wonder why young people aren’t audiophiles. Your post above is exhibit A.
Ghasley you really should keep to yourself your opinions about who I am and what kind of values I hold. Your perspective is your own, and utterly and completely worthless and laughable in my eyes.

Just because rap/hiphop is popular doesn’t mean it’s good, but you are insisting that it be respected, which I find hilarious.

Remember, rappers are heavily involved in promoting and participating in hatred and intolerance. rappers are egotistical narcissists that brainwash kids into thinking they have to posture and prove they are tougher than the rest of their crowd. rappers are also well known for promoting an atmosphere of violence that results in scores of shootings at night clubs that play rap/hiphop.

Finally, you should apologize for your outlandish and arrogant proclamations. They paint a picture of cognitive deficiencies, ignorance or both.
Moonwalker99, keep listening your rock and roll, i want to repeat that i am not a hip hop or rap aficianado, but let’s make it clear - i don’t like rock and roll (most of it), country and stuff like that, but you like it and always talk sh*t about music you don’t understand (you don’t even know a history of this music).

1: rappers that sample recordings that are the artistic property of others are not manufacturing anything that they can legally call their own artistic property.

In the beginning (late 70s) they used to sample beats (before a sample was even invented) using two copies of the same records and a mixer in real time on two turntables, in the 70’s it was DISCO records or JAZZ-FUNK record or even ROCK RECORDS if there was a drum break in the song. An MC was on the MIC at the discoteque and it was pretty much like Soul Train. That was the beggining of a new culture for youth people as the opposite to the rock and rock or anything else considered their parents music. Young folks created something new for themselfs to have fun, they don’t care about copyrights (it is true), it was in the black ghetto and they were poor. Graffiti appeared at the same time, break dance appeared at the same time. This is hip hop at it was born pretty much parallel to the disco music.  This music changed a lot in time and you probably referring to Gangsta Rap and other aggressive form of this culture, i am refering to the positive side of this culture only, stuff like this.  

Today all samples cleared for superstars, but people are still sampling unknown records, rare records. Sampling records is a part of hip hop culture, crate digging etc.

2: Rock and Roll is not the same thing as country or folk music. Your suggestion that it is, is as absurd as saying that rap/hiphop is the same thing as disco.

Oh, thank for letting me know. Rock and Roll or Country is something i will never even listen to. Rap is not Disco, but seems like you have no idea what is a Disco Rap ? I’m sure you know this.

3: Jazz artists that involve themselves with rappers are only reducing themselves to the same level as rappers. They are no more artists than the rest of the filthy degenerates that produce rap/hiphop.

Thanks, this is all we need to know about you and your personality.
Remember It was you who bring the Rap to this forum, not me.

As i told you many times i’m into 70’s jazz, funk, soul ... music.

4: rap/hiphop doesn’t require sound quality. It is a colossal waste of hundreds of thousands of SL-1200mk2 turntables every year, and doesn’t even remotely require the capability of a child’s toy record player let alone a reel to reel tape deck.

If you don’t know yet the rappers also performing live and recording in the best studios with full live bands. There are many different forms of hip hop music including intelligent forms or it, not just commercial rubbish. In many cases this is a new form of Jazz and Funk with syncopated rhythms and rhyme. Again it is all depends on the artist and his/her musical background. In general mainstream music degrade so fast, this is one of the reason i prefer an old records from the 70’s (that was the best time for music).

Why the insults @sleepwalker65?  Have you listened to Robert Glasper? He is an amazing talent, deeply respected in both jazz and hip-hop circles.

Your assertions about all rappers/hip-hop artists being thugs/criminals/shooters is absurd. Check out Chance the Rapper or Sir the Baptist. No one is getting brainwashed either. Believe it or not, people can and often do think for themselves. I would rather witness people grooving together to any kind of music than the alternative.

I apologize if I somehow offended you, although, you really should finish cutting my lawn before it gets dark. Lighten up a little Frances....