R2R Dac choices.

As to this point in my young audiophile career my dac has been an Oppo 203 running analog into an Anthem Mrx 720. I'm to thrilled the way it sounds for music! 4k movies is a different story.

The anthem is on the way out as I move to a two channel system. I have Ps audio M700 monoblocks and Ascend Acoustics towers with ribbons. I was about to purchase the Metrum Adagio and Ambre. As I don't or won't have a preamp the Adagio seems like a great choice because of the volume control. A preamp is definitely a possibility. And then I read about the Mhdt Labs Orchid dac and I started to waver lol. So I'm looking for a little help or guidance in these choices and other suggestions as well. 
Look forward to hearing what you cats have to say!!
jimfinn2112
I think you should first decide if you want a separate preamp in your system or not. Part of this can be done by looking at measurements, but the other part is personal preference and system dependent voodoo that you won’t know until you try. If it’s me, I choose a separate preamp, but at the very least and if you’re not sure I’d arrange to demo an Adagio (thru Hifi Heaven) and demo one or two good stereo preamps at the same time. I suspect you’ll know almost immediately which one you prefer, and my bet is it won’t be close.  If it turns out you prefer a separate preamp then return the Adagio and get a Pavane.  But you’ll never know if you don’t try. Best of luck whichever way you go.  BTW, I think it's a good bet you'll really like the Adagio or Pavane.  My only thing is I hear the Jade/Onyx get awfully close for much less $$$.  It never ends.  Ugh. 

Plus one on the Schiit Yggie, have had mine for 2 weeks now, honestly never thought I would enjoy digital sources as much as I do with the Yggie. Radio Paradise FLAC sounds amazing through the Yggie.