What a sad world we now live in.......

What a sad world.....

Had to go to our local Wal-Mart for something for the wife and thought would check out CD,s while here.

Could not find them so asked where to be told they had decided to stop selling them in-store.

In fact the whole electronics section looked bare and desolate.

Pretty sure a sign of the buy online times we now live in.
128x128uberwaltz
In 2018 music streaming accounted for more than 75% of music consumption.  Why would a retailer waste floor space on CD product that doesn't sell when it can be replaced my more profitable merchandise per square foot?  This is a total non-shocker.
3ezpayments.

Nope it is not a shocker but still to my mind it is sad reflection.

Yes I realise its business and it is a cutthroat market out there and understand the whole floor stock concept.

I guess although the writing has been on the wall for a while, to see it in action is another thing entirely.

Do not get me wrong the decline and possible demise of CD( mainstream at least) was inevitable in today's streaming age.

Does not mean I have to like it though ... Lol.

I don’t intend for this to sound judgmental, and I may be mistaken, but I don’t think Walmart customers were ever exactly the most music-loving people around. Or perhaps it is that they, like myself, are just not interested in the music that is currently most popular.

In the retail business, product has to "earn" its’ space on the sales floor. The amount of income generated by every square foot of floor space is analyzed every month or quarter; the product that does not generate the amount of income needed to meet the requirements of the "formula" has its’ floor space reduced until those requirements ARE met.

Music is just not earning its’ keep in Walmart. My two sisters are Walmart customers (I had never been in one until a year ago), and neither would think of buying a CD, or for that matter sitting and listening to an entire album. The people who ARE buying music aren’t doing it at Walmart, and haven’t for a long time.

That is the reason why I had bought 1,000CDs at 2,500$ during last 6 months.

They are on fire sale now.

But after few years, they may be valuable items no longer made.

I enjoy new collections of CDs.

Now I have around 2500 CDs.

Thomas