Speaker upgrade question - Wilson vs Focal

Hey audiogoners!

Thinking of upgrading and need the community/expert input.

Thinking of upgrading from a set of usher mini ones that I've had and loved for a few years.

I listened to a bunch of speakers, Focus Audio, Martin Logan, B&w, higher end ushers, Wilson audio, and Focal.

The ones I liked the most were the Wilson Audio Sasha DAW and the Focal Sopra 3. 

Loved the forward and detailed instrumentation on the Wilson's, especially the Sasha DAW, but liked the vocals slightly better on the sopras, though instrumentation on them was not as crisp as on Wilson's. But the two are very close.

Music is mostly jazz, classical, light rock, electronic and occasionally symphonic metal / European metal (night wish, sonata Arctica, dream theater). Mostly jazz though, vocal and instrumental. 

Trying to decide between getting the Wilson audio yvette, ( Sasha is too expensive and Sabrina's don't deliver enough) and Focal Sopra 3. Though I can wait a few years and get the Sasha then second hand.

I won't be considering other brands since I already did that research run around. These two brands work best for me and synergize well with my inwall home theater speakers (origin d87s).

I will be powering them using a McIntosh mc452 /C2600 for 2 channel, mostly LPs (McIntosh mt10) and tidal streaming and a anthem 1120 for home theater. 

What you guys think? Go for the Yvettes, wait for the Sasha's or go for the focals? 

Thanks.

128x128mepstein10
Mepstein,

The Wilsons will match better sonically with the Origins which also use a soft dome tweeter. 

However, for a match with home theater both speakers should work. 

The othe puzzlement is that these speakers are all diferent price points, the Sasha DAW are $37k the Yvettes $25k the Focals Sopra are usually $20k for the comparable model to the Wilson.

Did you hear each speaker with the same gear? If not how do you know if you are really loving the speaker of the setup?

The Focals are exceptional in terms of offering a bit more detail and overall clarity without brightness. 

Wilson are very musical but are a bit more laid back vs the Focals. 

If I were you I would not limit myself to anything. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
Yes, I heard the speakers with the same gear. Though the comparison is not a failure if one cannot do that, having the same gear is a big help in drawing A/B comparisons.

Anyway, for the Wilsons I heard the Sabrinas firsts, then the Focals Sopra 3, then the Sasha DAW. I was not able to listen to a set of Yvettes, but basically, everything I heard said it was maybe 75% of the Sasha DAW. I will try to find a pair to listen to before I pull the trigger but that will depend. But that's why it is an odd choice of comparison because I heard the Sasha DAWs and Focals against one another, but really seriously looking at the Yvettes vs the Focals and wondering if I will be kicking myself if I go for the Yvettes and not wait for the Sasha DAWs. The price just is quite severe afterall.  

I am not limiting myself, I just did the auditioning and liked what I heard from a particular manufacturer more than the other. 

I found specific parameters that I liked about speakers, heard those that I thought matched those, did a thorough comparison and limited it down to a couple of particular manufacturers.

Ironic. I was told that the wilsons are more forward than the focals, but I noticed that the Wilsons were more laid back, especially in the vocal projection. My suspicion is that it has to do with the tweeter.

I owned a pair of Wilson Sophia 2s and now own a pair of Focal Sopra 1s.  I much prefer the Sopras.  Not a fan of the lower end Wilson’s.  I am running subwoofers with the Focals as I did with the Wilsons.
I’ve owned several Wilson speakers and Focal.  Focal are a tad dry and slightly colored.  Very subtle but that’s what I hear.  Wilson’s will give you a terrifically dynamic and clear presentation .  I would love to have my W/P 6’s back...they were and still are my favorite.
Mepstein, neither the WIlsons or the Focals' will 100% synergize with your Origins.

We have been doing surround sound for over 30 years, if matching your origins is a priority, then the Wilsons will be a much closer sonic match, as their tweeter is also a soft dome, so at least they are in the same family.

Did you hear both of these speakers on Mcintosh gear?

The Mcintosh gear tends to be rolled off in the treble vs other brands of electronics which are more neutral, Mcintosh products mirror a more tube like presentation,  which would favor the pairing with the Focals whose Beryilium tweeter does show more detail than the Wilsons, but then you are less close to matching the Origins.

If you are doing surround sound the most important loudspeaker is the center channel, the rest of the loudspeakers for back or surrounds the Origins will still work no matter which main speakers are chosen. 

WIlsons tend to image better with a more holographic presentation than the Focals which throw a wide but less specific soundstage.

Personally we would recommend that you keep looking and not limit yourself to just these two companies.

We heard some speakers at Axpona that combine many of the traits of both of these speakes in a somewhat similar price point. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ