ProAc D28 vs Usher Dancer Mini 2

I've been a fan of ProAc for many years. After selling my 2.5's and CJ amps a while back due to space constraints, I'm planning to put together a new system.

I heard the Usher Dancer Mini 2's at a local shop recently and was taken aback by the sense of space and depth of the images they produce. Tweeters had a tendency to sound steely on some recordings and mid-bass was a bit lumpy but otherwise I was impressed.

Unfortunately we don't have any ProAc dealers nearby, and I haven't heard any of the newer D lineup. I'd love to compare the D28 or D38 with the Ushers side by side.

Does anyone have any experience with these two speakers and how would you compare the two?

Thanks..
mc4b

The Usher's use much high resolution drivers than what Proac uses. With higher resolution comes setup issues, so your dealer may or may not have optimized how the speakers were setup.

If the speakers you heard had any other speakers in the room, that can lead to lumpy bass, also if the speakers were too close to the read wall, or if the room has problems with standing waves this could all lead up to lumpy or boomy bass.

As per treble, good clean treble requires the right components, cables, power conditioning, and source components.

If the speakers are very revealing that you will hear both the good and bad aspects of the recordings you are playing.

Many dealers are not the best in setting up their own demo rooms, this can be due to the huge costs required to find just the right group of components that will make a particular set of speakers come alive.

Trust your ears if you were impressed buy the Ushers they are really fantastic speakers.
I agree am also a fan of the Proacs and sell them at Audio Connection.
Having heard all generations Response 3 series
I think the newest D38 with UK made Volt drivers are truly special and offer a sense of engagement like never before.

The new bass loading system,advanced Cabinet design bracing support easier room placement and makes these speakers disappear as if not in front of you.

Piano has an unique natural tone that holds on just long enough to the notes yet has a spooky immediacy.
David Gilmore's guitar on Pink Floyd Division Bell has an on fire energy and flows out with an effortless powerful quality while still remaining cohesive at all times.
The D38s as proacs before have a sense of musicality that leaves many others speakers sounding mechanical forced or etched.
Please let us know when you audition.
Best Johnnyr
Man, you guys don't make this decision any easier. I guess I can't go wrong with either one.
I have owned smaller (D15) and older (R3.8) ProAc, I have also owned smaller Usher (BE-718) though I have only heard Mini Dancer 1 & 2 in show room both with diamond tweeters.

If ProAc still keeps its house sound, a bit warm, a bit sweet, and a bit dynamically constraint, I think Usher will sound quite different. Usher is more dynamic, bass has much more weight and heft. I assumed you heard the BE version, that tweeter never sounds harsh unless it was not driven correctly. BE tweeter is signficantly more resolving, it rivals top tweeters out there so front end equipments are important.

One thing I will point out, I do find Mini Dancer 1 more coherent than 2 and that's usually the case for single midrange/bass driver speaker. unless you have a huge room, I will stay with Dancer 1.