Home demo. ProAc D48R and Spendor D9

I am in the process of a home demo. of the ProAc D48R and Spendor D9 from different dealers.
The ProAc guy says it is well run in and the Spendor guy says only about 90 hours on them.

First off, love the D48R so far, midrange to die for & the bass, lots of bass, perhaps a tad too much. Not sure yet, vocals , treble from that ribbon is exceptional.
The Spendor in comparison is not bad at all, I think a bit better definition in the bass, not as full as D48R , seems just as deep, but more tuneful to me. The midrange is OK , it seems to lag behind the ProAc only just. The upper midrange/treble to me is a bit of a let down. For example acoustic guitar seems slightly less crisp, less involving compared to the ProAc.

Question for any D9 owners out there, how long did they take to fully run in ? I assume I am not hearing now what their final run in sound will be like. Will the midrange/ treble open up more, like D48R more, or is the ProAc ribbon tweeter that much better ?
seadog77
I can state that the Spendor D7 (just below the D9) have the best piano sound I have ever heard in a speaker- better than my previous Harbeths which made piano sound excellent.  The Spendors make piano sound alive and real.  
@donquichotte,You will get biased opinion on this question because between the ProAc and Spendor owners we have purchased the loudspeakers that "we" thought, sounded the most natural to us. I have heard the ProAc D30, Spendor D7 and own the ProAc D48R. For piano, I would highly recommend the D48R. But would also urge you to listen to the Spendor D9 to see what you prefer. Both my kids play the piano and based on that experience I can say that the larger speakers get the sound "closer" to the original. But one thing to remember is - for a piano recording to sound "like a real piano" on a large loudspeaker, you need to provide them with enough room to breath. The smaller D30 and D7 also do piano very well, but the "scale" is different compared to the larger loudspeakers.

@avanti1960
It’s a matter of synergy between speakers & system and personal taste too,the best piano sound I heard is with my Proac D30 RS ribbon twitters and with Harbeth 40.2 which I heard at high end show.
Thank you very much guys for answering so quickly!
I can say that the larger speakers get the sound "closer" to the original. But one thing to remember is - for a piano recording to sound "like a real piano" on a large loudspeaker, you need to provide them with enough room to breath. The smaller D30 and D7 also do piano very well, but the "scale" is different compared to the larger loudspeakers.
Understood. Unfortunately, the space I have is not very large - about 23 square meters with a height of about 2.3 meters. I can get about 0.5-0.6 meters between the back of the speakers and the (long) wall behind them with the speakers spaced about 2 meters apart (inner edge to inner edge) and about 3 meters between me and the front baffle of each speaker. I know most would point out that the smaller speakers are more appropriate for this room, but... I’m not listening loud, on the contrary sometimes, and I would like to have good bass down to 30 Hz with the better mids the larger speakers are supposed to offer.

To further confuse things, I’ve read somebody prefered the mids of the D30RS to those of the D48R, stating that the midbass driver is better in the D30RS. Difficult choices, given that I’ll definitely not be able to audition in my room before purchasing...
Other speakers I’m considering are from the Spendor’s Classic line, especially because I heard the SP2/3R2 and loved them. Musical diet based on jazz, classical (especially piano) and old rock. Budget is not very clear, but the D9 and the Classic 100 are stretching it a lot, possibly even too far. Classic 1/2, maybe?

I can state that the Spendor D7 (just below the D9) have the best piano sound I have ever heard in a speaker
Have you heard anything from the current or the older Spendor Classic line?
Understood. Unfortunately, the space I have is not very large - about 23 square meters with a height of about 2.3 meters. I can get about 0.5-0.6 meters between the back of the speakers and the (long) wall behind them with the speakers spaced about 2 meters apart (inner edge to inner edge) and about 3 meters between me and the front baffle of each speaker.
I think the mistake you are making is you are considering the ProAc D30 and Spendor D7 as small. And it is a big mistake. When I auditioned these 2 loudspeakers I was amazed by how much "larger" they sound compared to their size. Both these speakers produced low range frequencies with amazing speed and definition.The bass did not sound like "column of air" being thrown out to "sound like bass", but real low bass. With the way you mention about the positioning of loudspeaker in your room, these can go down to 30Hz without much struggle. With your configuration the D48R and D9 will overload your room and you will regret the purchase even though you may be able to afford them.
To further confuse things, I’ve read somebody prefered the mids of the D30RS to those of the D48R, stating that the midbass driver is better in the D30RS.
Like I said, the D48R needs breathing room. If they don't get it, yes, the midrange can become muddy. In this case one should not blame the speakers, but rather blame their choice of speaker knowing their room limitation.
Based on your "music diet", I suggest that you listen to some Harbeths and Sterling? (not sure, looked like a box like Harbeth, but many screws on the front when you remove the baffle; heard at AXPONA 2017).Looks like you are based somewhere in Europe, where ProAc, Spendor, Harbeth are much cheaper than the US.