Take up drums at age 56?

I know this technically has nothing to do with high end audio but I know there are some drummers here that might be able to help me along here....or tell me to skip it altogether. And it does have to do with music.

I'm almost embarrassed to even post this. I'm 56. I have never played a musical instrument other than dabbling with a harmonica. I do not read music. I am certain that I'll never perform for anyone or play in a band.

But I've always wanted to play drums.

And now I have enough money to get a simple cheap used drum kit and I have a basement that is isolated enough to not bother the neighbors. (I actually have an acquaintance who refurbishes used drums who can probably hook me up).

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you teach yourself to play drums? Alone or with YouTube etc? Are actual lessons required? Can I skip the practice pad and start with a kit?

2) Is there any point? In other words, even if I were to learn to play are the drums the kind of instrument that you sit down and play for your own pleasure the way you would a guitar?

My realistic expectation is that I'd get a simple kit. Try to do something with it. Find that it is much harder to do than it looks, especially for a guy with two left feet. It sits in the basement for a while and then I sell it for a big loss but hopefully at least happy that I tried it.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

(If totally inappropriate for this site I have no problem removing the post.....especially if someone points me to a better site for the topic.)

n80
Excellent references @bdp24 . Fortunately those are many of the people I like to listen to already (without knowing who the specific drummers were).

I think I am very sensitive to timing and rhythm when I listen to it. It seems very common for a lot of rock drummers to play too fast during shows. It rushes the guitarist and the singer and it drives me nuts.

But having a sensitive ear for timing is very different from having it myself. I'm also the type that if I'm going up stairs real fast and think about it....I'll trip.....so will probably be hopeless on drums.

Anyway, here is another example of more simple playing that I'd like to be able to do. This girl was playing drums for Big George Brock, a delta blues man now living in St. Louis. He is in poor health and had to be assisted to his chair but I liked the way the big girl on drums played. This was at the Juke Joint Festival in Clarksdale, Mississippi earlier this month. It was cold and wet that morning.

https://youtu.be/85TTp3_Htjw
Oh you bet...after many years playing the steering wheel and dash, I decided to get real...about 20 years ago my Favorite drummer was Will Kennedy (Yellowjackets)...mesmerizing beats and cool rhythms...so they come to Santa Cruz and I sit up at ringside to watch and listen specially to Will...after the show I went up to him, all thanks etc and ask him ‘is it ever too late to Start playing drums and how should I start?’...his response was so simple...’Buddy, go buy a set...don’t overthink it...just do it’...so later that week I went into a local shop and put together a very nice Sonar Jazz Kit...w/better than beginner hardware and cymbals ...metalflake Green, came home, set it up and started playing with ‘Kinda Blue’...keeping good time, brushes etc....that was before much instructional you tube etc...so I muddled along and found that it just took me away...still does...I could use a dedicated music space, though as I play guitar as well and sing in a band...room and space are my final frontier...don’t read a lick, don’t want to...just want to play...I say just do it...get you pal to dial you in...don’t  fear it...dig it...Life is short and I didn’t want to always wonder what it would be like...I know now...and love it...I’m 64 btw...next...about surfing....hmmmm???....good luck!
I, too, am a drummer, and the most fun I've had with the instrument in recent years (I'm 66, and a veteran of the gigging community) is using a decent electronic kit to play along with the thousand of available drumless songs that are available.  At 56, you probably don't want to start lugging drums to gigs, and probably aren't that worried about impressing your friends and getting chicks (I'm assuming), so sticking your head under some headphones and wailing with some songs you may or may not know is just great fun.  It also has the great advantage of having a volume control, so your not damaging the ears you need to enjoy your audio system.
@n80 

Surprisingly few drummers are good dancers - so don’t worry about your tendency towards tripping.

I only know of Steve Ferrone, Buddy Rich and Steve Gadd who were all accomplished tap dancers. Dancing a bit (body movement) does help with making and keeping a locked in groove. Many will dance with the left foot and head.

https://youtu.be/6DVbt5W-DNc

I started playing drums at age 5 and I’m in my 60’s now. Just got rid of my set.  It’s a lot of fun to play. The most fun is playing in groups/bands in front of many people, an experience you will never forget. Do not, do not get an electronic kit. The drum sizes are completely different than the real thing and the feel is quite a bit different.
St first, all you need is a snare drum to learn the basics. At 5, I did this with an instructor for quite some time before it got boring. Then I progressed to a full kit. Pick a couple of drummers from your favorite artists and play along with a couple of cuts to work on your stick ability as well as the bass drum work. I used a set of headphones for drummers that worked really well while I played songs from my iPhone. There are many YouTube videos that can teach you the basics up to the most advanced.
if you want to save money, find a used set thru Craigslist along with a set of cymbals, hi hat, ride and crash. IMO, if you want to learn from the best, look up Mike Portnoy and watch some of his drumming with Dream Theater. That’s who I played too and he has great videos on how to learn different techniques. Btw, I am selling my headphones if interested.