Can one ever be "done" in this hobby?

I would like to think I am pretty much in audio nirvana right now but supremely well aware how quickly that can change to audio nervosa!

What do think?

Is it really possible to kick the addiction and be done and just sit back and enjoy the music?

Has anybody managed this trick of the mind?
128x128uberwaltz
For me, when I have the system as good as I perceive it can be within what I sanely feel like spending, then I have to STOP READING anything about audio--forums, reviews, new products, etc.  I went 18 years with basically the exact same components when I did this the last time.  The only thing I replaced was a totally blown component that would cost too much to fix to keep it.  I'm very close now, as I love all the components together in my system and have done the Schroeder method with all the sets of ICs.  I could go to higher cost ICs in the Schroeder method and have this part of the journey never end.  I said I would do all 3 sets of ICs with the Schroeder method and love it.  I have and I'm done.  

Don't listen to friend's systems that are much better than your own either.  Help your friend's out by letting them borrow things to try in their own systems.  I have 2 close friends and we do quite a bit of exchanging.   

Building a system that is ULTIMATELY musical and dynamic to listen to
does take a good ear.  I absolutely love the system I now have.  A couple things are being done to optimize things in some way but other than shipping, it is costing me nothing.

I will buy my own syringe on Perfect Path Total Contact to paste the contacts that I have removed or changed out in the past couple years.  I bought part of a supply from a friend to do what I did.  I WILL NOT start pasteing everything that has been suggested on the Forums.  Tube pins, AC plugs, IEC pins, RCA male ends, spade lugs, bananas--did do the fuses, but will clean those off and not do the next time.  Too much mess.

As you can see, my final quest was on tweaking the system in many somewhat less expensive ways to finalize the sound.

I just need to keep busy in retirement so I stay away from hobby reading.
If I can't be extremely happy with my system, I should do as Jim Carey did in Liar, Liar and kick my own ass.

Bob
Yes
You can be done
I am

I took up guitar ten years ago and slowly began to care less about audio quality.  These days I spend virtually all of my music time playing, not listening.

Now, 90% of my listening is in the car, 8% is via Sonos when entertaining, 1.5% via headphones in the gym or on a plane, and half a percent in front of a high quality system.  

The audio thing has just sort of gone away 
I beleive it has a lot to do with creating that "1st time reaction" why do we upgrade? Because we have become bored with what we have. On  the "Happy Scale" I was just as excited with the first impression of my first higher quality system as I was with my first impression of recent acquisitions that are much better and 10 times as expensive.
The best your new upgrade will eversound is in the first week of listening to it. 

We try to recreate that feeling with most things. Desensitivity to any thing can be very dangerous if you don't have a level of self control. Some times you just have to turn that system off or listen to your second system for a while or drive the grocery getter instead of the Ferrari to regain the level of excitement people thirst for.

So can we ever actually be done? Only when we don't care anymore and move on to something else. 

I live in the "twilight zone of zero self control" (Walter Becker line) and in my decently funded retirement I enjoy my self indulgent audio, guitars, a Triumph air cooled motorcycle, sporty German cars, mechanical watches, longboards, SUP boards, an adult long skateboard (Dewey Weber) and whatever else I feel like doing and absolutely care zero about what anybody else thinks about any of it. However, I do crave attention, so there's that.