Why the fascination with subwoofers?

I have noticed many posts with questions about adding subwoofers to an audio system. Why the fascination with subwoofers? I guess I understand why any audiophile would want to hear more tight bass in their audio system, but why add a subwoofer to an existing audio system when they don’t always perform well, are costly, and are difficult to integrate with the many varied speakers offered. Additionally, why wouldn’t any audiophile first choose a speaker with a well designed bass driver designed, engineered and BUILT INTO that same cabinet? If anyone’s speakers were not giving enough tight bass, why wouldn’t that person sell those speakers and buy a pair that does have tight bass?
128x1282psyop
Post removed 
@clio09-  That’s why I mentioned, "semantics". I’m envious of your location. Currently; I’m stuck in a culturally-challenged hick-town, after living the major portion of my life, between Cleveland and Orlando. No dearth in either local(unlike here), regardless of music genre desired. Happy Listening!
Dear @clio09 : Here a definition of the word artifact:

""" ar·ti·fact/ˈärdəfakt/noun
  1. 1.an object made by a human being, typically an item of cultural or historical interest."gold and silver artifacts"
  2. 2.something observed in a scientific investigation or experiment that is not naturally present but occurs as a result of the preparative or investigative procedure."widespread tissue infection may be a technical artifact"

do you think that what you listen at near field position ( this near field position is very important for the subject we are analizing. ) in live music experiences in different venues and with different kind of MUSIC is an " artifact " ?

because at least for me is the very first time in my life that I read that word in reference to bass management and I think rodman9 too.

What noble100 posted: " when you hear it you will know , has nothing to do with artifact " but gin if that’s what you understand after those several nearfield live MUSIC experiences it’s ok with me but think a little about.

Anyway, can we go on on the bass management whole subject?

R.
Dear @pwhinson  : """  point of 28hz.  BUT of course there's just very little music down there...."""

there are a lot of recordings with usable music information below 20hz and in both formats: LP and CD's.

Some like these ( exist hundred of recordings, this is a enunciative list/examples. ):

almost all Telarc recordings that not only goes below 20hz but as low as 6hz-8hz like in the 1812 overture,  many Reference Recordings as Dafos and Berlioz Fantastique, obviously organ scores  by Bach and other composers, Sheffiel Labs in its Firebird recording and in other recordings by them, M&K D2D has some recordings too, many rock music recordings, two notables here are The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, last live Hotel California recording, hundred of Original Soundtrack Motion Picture in CD and some in LP too like: Glory, 300, Gladiator, Vangelis 1842, Blade Runner ( first picture ),  the old " The Mission, et, etc.

All those comes with information below 20hz and only if we own true subs that performs at least at 14hz-16hz can we " discover " the beauty of those recordings.

A true subs is not the one that goes to 20hz but the one that gows way down below 20hz with low THD.

To achive that subs needs at least 12" to move the air need to and very good design. Ideally subs need to have at least woofers from 14" and up.

For a 10" woofer ( as the four subs array posted here. ) is almost imposible to handled frequencies below 20hz at over 100dbs ( SPL. ) and with low THD kind of distortion.

Btw, one of the ribbon speakers I was refering in my other post to you was the Apogee that I live with for a couple of months at my place ( several years ago, when Apogee was the " week new speaker " name. ) with the Scintilla's powered by my Classé DR3-VDH that was one of the few amplifiers to handled the speaker so low impedance of 1 ohms or the like.
Well I listen too several times through the audio distributor its top of the line that was a full range one with hybrid design due that came with a integrated subwoofer and I can tell you that contrary of what the Magnepan designer thinks performed excellent but I did not have the kind of money for buy it.

I'm not talking of the Diva that was a great performer too but about The Grand, here you can read that exist only fortunated 25 owners all over the world:

http://www.reality-audio.com/the_grand.html

So don't be afraid to make the same and enjoy your system better than ever before or after ! ! ! ! 

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.