Difference Between DAC Types

I’m curious if R2R ladder DACs and Delta-Sigma DACs are each better suited to certain types of music, i.e. vocals, amplified vs. non-amplified music, etc.

I’ve only owned Delta-Sigma DACs and have never heard an R2R ladder DAC. However based on reviews of some R2R products I’m considering moving in that direction but also understand there are inherent differences between the two DAC types. Not really looking for recommendations for specific DACs I should listen to of either type although that may be unavoidable to the discussion. I’m mostly intrigued by some of the online reviews for small company DACs like Border Patrol and Mhdt Labs where it’s said they can compete with much more expensive DACs.

My musical tastes are all over the board but maybe 50% rock (not hard) – folk - reggae etc. amplified music, the other made up mostly of acoustic folk, vocals, jazz and whatever else is in my library. I’d hate to move to R2R and find that female vocals are greatly improved, but at the expense of electric guitars, etc.

FWIW I’m running an AR pre, Pass amp, ATC speakers.

So, are there any distinct or unique characteristics inherent to R2R ladder DACs vs. Delta-Sigma DACs?

jaybe
@soix thanks for your input

@mrdon looking forward to your impressions, perhaps how it stacks up against a Delta-Sigma unit

@lukaske server based system, so no CD player

@millercarbon your ignorance is excused, please don't post here again
I have no idea which type of DAC topology might be better than another.  I do know that NAIM dubs their reference gear with the "555" number.  Their "555" CD player had a R2R DAC.  Their very best server/DAC, until recently, did not "earn" their "555" designation and was called the NDS.  The NDS had a Delta-Sigma DAC.  When they finally came out with a server that they thought warranted the "555" designation, it is one that employs an R2R DAC.  Does that signify anything?

@soix 

General statements are a water of time - I agree.

You just cannot compare the two unless they are from the same manufacturer/ design.  The speed may not be the chip or the R2R design and can come from other aspects in the design.  SS versus tube, type of tubes, tube regulation vs SS, tube rectification, etc.  Different tubes will also have different sound characteristics.

Since I design Directed Heated Triode tube DACs I prefer the sound of the R2R DAC, why because I also built the same DAC using the Sabre 32 chip DAC.  Both have advantages but the R2R is more musical with a more relaxed presentation where the chip is more like being in the first five rows and hearing he music.  Neither one has better speed, clarity, separation, frequency extremes over the other.  The chip may be slightly more dynamic at the expenses of relation or possibly clarity but you would really have to have really good ears to hear it or spend a lot of time with each unit in your system.  I have demonstrated both but not at the same time and each time the person hearing the DHT design was impressed.

Personal preference yes sir!

Nothing against what you said just trying to add some explanation to what you posted.

Happy Listening.

@bigkidz -- took a look at your DAC after we discussed on a prior thread.  Wow.  Just wow. 

@soix 

Thank you for your comments.  The prior two years we won best of sound at the CAF with GT Audio.  If you google my website or theirs, you will find links and can hear the system. 

I just want people to understand you have to compare apples to apples.  A DAC made in China with an R2R board may sound good but another R2R will probably sound much different.

Take a look at the phono stage with 16 tubes and the 6SN7 preamp.  By the end of the year we should have all of our designs established.

Happy Listening.