Why not use a non-contact stylus on a turntable?

I read comments about static-free playback of LPs with some amount of satisfaction.

When CDs were introduced, I quit worrying about the mechanics and started enjoying the music. More so with computer audio.

However, lots of folks like vinyl .... apparently. ;<)

Why not take all the worry, wringing of hands, and frustration out of the equation by insisting on touch-free stylus technology?

What is the technology? Hell if I know! But if nerds can sample the bits on a CD, they can sure as heck track the grooves on an LP!

Not only track the grooves, but filter out the grunge!

Play your oldest vinyl in complete background silence!

Put technology to work on vinyl! You’ll breathe easier for it.

Kind regards,

Greg
cgregory4
"If you have a notion , instead of lambasting the forum and its members" 

Show me where I am 'lambasting' anyone? That's absurd.

"go right ahead and invest the time, money and effort required in this endeavor."

Why would I do that? I'm fine with the digital progress from my perspective.

The question, from the beginning, is why aren't you?

KInd regards,

Greg
On the question of lambasting at least, got to say, I agree. He's not lambasting. Lambasting, done right, calls for wit and intelligence. But just look what he wrote:
By 'non-contact', I'm not implying a huge gulf between the transducer and the grooves. Quite the contrary, as tracking the extreme analog fluctuations in the vinyl implies a marriage of the closest sort.

What he wants, in other words, is non-contact contact. He's not lambasting. He's incoherent.
Could it be the "why not?" of no contact is, from a noise perspective, that once you digitize, the pops and ticks can be removed with software. It can, and is, being done now with contact styli, an ADC and the same software that would be necessary with no contact. So not much  advantage noise-wise.
millercarbon have you checked out the bearing design of the more expensive Clearaudio turntables? 
Vinyl is the best material we know of for trench warfare but it is far from perfect. Basically it just wears out after 100 playings. That suits the bean counters just fine. In many respects CDs are even more fragile. Try cleaning one with brake cleaning fluid. When one starts skipping it is far more annoying than a stuck record. I is much easier to read the info on an album cover than on that little flap of paper designed to get torn when you pull it out of the crappy plastic case that cracks when you look at it. Most importantly there is no humanity in it. CDs are for robots. They can insert them right into their mouths. Don't even need ear buds. The belief ( marketing ) back in 1981 was that records would be gone in 10 years. I will bet anyone here dumb enough to bet someone who does not gamble that new records will be sold long after CDs are gone. Music to last a lifetime! My backside. At least you could hang yourself with Cassettes. 
This is a rather amusing thread - dear OP are the following not attempts to improve the transducer arts?

1. Laser turntable?
2. MC cartridges - with various materials in the body and stylus - including countless profiles;
2. Moving Iron cartridges  (variables as above)
3. Coming Magnet Cartridges - (same variables again)
4. Strain Gauge Cartidges
5. Optical cartridges
6. Condenser cartridges

The problem is one of the following:

1. Someone has already considered it - believe it or not the likes of John Carr at Lyra; Van Den Hul... are - believe it or not - pretty bloody intelligent too.
2. It takes megabucks and mega minds to do it (look at the DS optical cartridges - that are a spin off for a tech company that happens to have a vinyl nut working there)
3. the methods you suggest are likely to require digitisation somewhere along the line - it defeats the purpose of being analogue (my only reason for not getting a TACT amp that 'room corrects')