Reference 3a mm de capo vs. ProAc Response 2

So here's the conundrum. I've got a Fisher 500c- 35 watts of vintage tube power (with several mods done to it-namely updated power supply and signal path) and currently have a pair of Vandersteen 2ce's. Not the best match, due to the Vandy's moderate efficiency, though still nice. Not especially dynamic and a bit congested on the frequency extremes.
So in search of a better speaker to match the Fisher, I've done lots of research on Reference 3A's and Proacs, which I'm told both work well with tubes.

So please, have any of you listened to both of the speakers in the title? If so, how would you characterize their strengths and weaknesses? Which did YOU prefer and why?
As for my tastes, I enjoy old school R&B, 50s-60s jazz, classic rock, some pop, bluegrass, reggae, folk. Not really concerned about classical. And my source is an Eastern Electric MiniMax CDP. No vinyl (yet).

Thanks a bunch for your valued opinions! Lincoln

PS- yes I'm working hard to arrange a listen to both of them myself, but Tucson, AZ, is a bit removed from lesser known brands. :)
lincnabby
I should have mentioned that the Ref 3 woofers have dual voice coils which are intended to be driven separately and that I have the Gallo scbswoofer amp on the 2nd voice coils of mine. There are two sets of speaker inputs but the Ref 3s are NOT biwirable -- the second set goes to the second voice coils. So my SET amps don't have to handle anything below 40-45 Hz. Dave
Tell please What is the difference in sound ProAc Studio 100 -ProAc Response Two- ProAc Response D Two..would be very grateful.
I have owned both and still have a pair of the ProAcs. Cory Greenberg wrote an excellent review of the Response 2 way back in the early 90s in Stereophile, basically saying they were the cure for the wimpy state of high-end speakers at the time. I bought a pair then and I agree totally. They are alive, have an ideal tonal balance, can do boogie or refinement, and work well with tubes. The Ref 3a also had its charms but there seemed to be a small area in the upper midrange/lower treble that I could not tame, perhaps some type of impedence interaction with my tube amps? I have not tried the ProAc with another stand besides the Target R2, Greenberg did and was convinced the Target was the way to go. I think the ProAcs would be a speaker you could live with for a long time and have lots of fun with.
There are two top stand choices for the D2. First are the Skylan Stands, second are the Sound Anchors. I bought the Sound Anchors for my new D2's. The Skylab stands are nice, imo not quite as nice as the SA,s but they are about $200. Less.