I woke up with cold ears

I've been doing a lot of critical listening, with a new amp (Luxman 507ux) and new DIY power cable. I've been trying to find an audible benefit or difference in either.

Regardless of my findings, I wanted to share something else, coincidental. I woke up, listened to music and it sounded horrible. Very tinny. Very bright. Gave up and decided to run the dishwasher instead... and guess what? The dishwasher too was too bright!

What I mean is, I was being irritated by the sound of it. To my ears that morning the dishwasher sounded like a chalk board.

What do I think I learned? That my ears are not consistent devices. That they too have their own sensitivities and behaviors which I need to take into account when listening.

erik_squires
What a horrible thing to go through. It reminds me of the scene from 2001, A Space Odyssey, when the monolith sends it's signal to a moon of Jupiter. The the astronauts could hear through their helmets but  couldn't cover their ears, despite their attempts.

I'm glad your hearing eventually returned.

All the best,
Nonoise
Very interesting thread.
It's hard to tell tbh as I would not dream of attempting anything useful or definitive until at least 2 cups of coffee have been consumed.
By that time any hearing imbalance has already been rectified I think.

I normally throw some music on about 1 hour after rising at the earliest so should be equalised.

It is likely that hearing is more acute early rising as I know my eyes are better after a few hours sleep. I can usually successfully type in my email password early am sans glasses which is not the case later in the day.
Caffein can cause slight and temporary hearing loss in some individuals too.
I thought that everyone goes through similar experiences and wondered why people were writing very firm/absolute statements about their music-listening findings. It has been silly and enjoyable to read them.

At some recent point, in one thread full of those absolutes, I suggested that taking Afrin before a listening session may be beneficial.

The only response I got was from geoffkait…

"Glubson, you realize there’s a very thin line between being stupid and pretending to be stupid, don’t you?"
So girls/guys, be careful with these theories. Even if you are right, someone less adept at understanding may challenge your intelligence.
Squire- Check back about 6 months or so and read the responses
I received to my post "Am I hearing Things"? 
It may be of use or perhaps not applicable. 
I too feel I love the sound in my speakers and other times I am wondering why they are so harsh, bright and painful to listen to
and know I need some very polite British Speakers.