Magnepan 1.7

Anyone actually got their hands on these yet? What is is your opinion/experience after hearing these in your home. What about placement issues? I am thinking about buying these. Thanks.
darkkeys
I like the new instructions. I couldn't ignore them since this is what I'd do anyway.

Determine orientation by TEST is best. (nice rhyme!)

You've got 4 choices, right?

Tweeters In / Out
Mylar Front / Back.

I'd wait 100 hours or so. Caps need to settle in and the mylar needs to be exercised.
Magfan, you are not crazy. I mentioned the tweeter in position in another 1.7 thread. The recommendation is not in the owner's manual but was a seperate piece of pink paper entitled Magnepan 1.7 quick set up instructions which was stapled to bag containing Magnepan badges.
Hi Magfan,

You are right about waiting some amount of time for things to settle in...and then test the options as you summarized.

The main listening position that can be incrementally adjusted is as follows:

The speakers are about four feet from the front wall that is 13 feet long and is a three foot deep alcove. The room then opens up to 18 feet wide so that one speaker is about 3 feet from a side wall and the other speaker is about 7 feet from the other sidewall.

The middle of the speakers are about eight feet apart. The main listening position is about seven and a half feet from the line between the speakers. There is approximately 20 feet behind the listening position and the ceilings are ten feet.

The Magnepan instructions did recommend that the speakers should be toed in towards the main listening position. This definitely improved the soundstage and gave a focused center. In my listening space, without the toe in, the speakers did not focus very well.

While it is early, I still am impressed with the bass. It is articulate and I can tell the differences in timbre. I also can feel the bass if it is on the recorded material. This surprised me as that never happened with the 1.2's.

I am also still continuing to hear a lot more detail and it still feels like things are popping out at me and that never happened before either with the 1.2's.

We shall see.
Measure from the edge of the speaker directly BACK to the 'front' wall.
Measure from EACH side of the speaker. On my 1.6s, I use the little trim strip as the index.
My speakers measure EXACTLY 30.5" on the inside edge and 34" to the outside edge....both straight back to the front wall.

Speakers are 61" apart, inside edge to inside edge....from the same place I measure to the wall.

A little trig tells me.......just under 11 degrees of toe. The speakers cross well behind my seating position of about 10 or 11 feet.
Hi Magfan,

I do need to tighten up on my geometry! While being well aware that minute adjustments can make a big difference in sound, I have neglected the record keeping which will become more important as the speakers are broken in and I start to play with tweeters in and out, etc.

By the way, do you have any experience with sound pressure level and frequency response measurements?

Quite often, these items are discussed on various forum threads. I wondered what you thought about this aspect of our hobby and if you spent much time with it.