Magnepan 1.7

Anyone actually got their hands on these yet? What is is your opinion/experience after hearing these in your home. What about placement issues? I am thinking about buying these. Thanks.
darkkeys
Hi Magfan,

I started with the tweeters to the outside for no special reason.

The currrent instructions for the 1.7's, just two sheets of paper with a thank you letter on top, no longer recommend tweeters in.

They explain how to orient the speakers based on serial numbers and that the listener should determine what sounds best to them. They do recommend toeing in the speakers to the center of the listening position and advise against them being parallel to the front wall for better phasing.

So...tweeters in, tweeters out and then back to front...tweeters in and tweeters out...and that is before any mods!

Second day of listening - a lot of bass that you can cleanly hear and differentiate instruments.

Still amazed at little details that pop out at you. On some Stevey Ray Vaughn cuts, the hum of the guitar amps is clearly audible for what it is at the end of the tracks. On a Joan Jett CD I clearly heard fingering thta wsa not audible before
While they are 'new', they will continue to change for a while. I may not be exactly worth it to keep moving them around after first getting them into a nice spot.
Later, you can get more detailed.
As I approached my final setup, I didn't mess with anything for longer and longer between changes until I made a backwards move or 2.

Record keeping may be important here. Dimensions? listening impressions?

I could'a swore I saw the tweeters 'in' recommendation at the Magnepan site when I looked up the 1.7 book......
I had seen tweeters "in" on the net. However, the speakers were shipped from Minnesota the week of Thanksgiving and the new instructions do not recommend tweeter orientation.
I like the new instructions. I couldn't ignore them since this is what I'd do anyway.

Determine orientation by TEST is best. (nice rhyme!)

You've got 4 choices, right?

Tweeters In / Out
Mylar Front / Back.

I'd wait 100 hours or so. Caps need to settle in and the mylar needs to be exercised.
Magfan, you are not crazy. I mentioned the tweeter in position in another 1.7 thread. The recommendation is not in the owner's manual but was a seperate piece of pink paper entitled Magnepan 1.7 quick set up instructions which was stapled to bag containing Magnepan badges.