The Harbeth phenomenon

In my search for a new pair of speakers, I've gone through many threads here and noticed that many owners or fans of Harbeth have almost a love-like connection with Harbeth speakers. It is almost as if the speakers cast a spell upon them. I know many audiophiles love their speakers but Harbeth owners seem especially enamored with theirs. I am extremely puzzled by this phenomenon because on paper Harbeth speakers look average at best and lack many of the attributes that generally make a great speaker.

Their sensitivity of generally around the 86dB mark makes them rather inefficient and therefore, at least in theory, not a good match for many lower powered tube amps, or any amps below 100wpc. Their frequency range is simply inferior to most high-end speakers since they don't go below 40 Hz. This alone should, again at least in theory, disqualify Harbeth speakers from consideration as top high end speakers. And yet I've never heard anyone complain about their bass, while people complain about lack of bass in the Gibbon Nines from DeVore, which is a fantastic speaker. Their cabinets look like a cheap DIY enclosure (disclaimer: I've never seen a Harbeth up close, only pictures). The 7ES-3 is rated B-Restricted, while the smaller and cheaper Usher Be-718 A-Restricted in Stereophile but garners nowhere near the same amount of admiration, praise and following among audiophiles.

So what's going on here? Is this a big conspiracy plot by the company that paid off a few hundred of people to infiltrate audiophile internet forums and a few reviewers? I am of course joking here, but the question is serious. How can speakers so average on paper be so good in real life? I know the opposite is often true, but you rarely see this phenomenon.

Please speak up.
actusreus
I’ve been to several thousand live classical concerts in the last 50+ years .
I heard some Harbeths at a dealer friend of mine and they sounded like you
said . I had him switch from a 135 watts a side amp to a 400 a side one, they moved to a live concert .
I never met a real audiophile myself that bought inoffensive etc speakers .Perhaps the crowd I hang with .

Obviously you have no problem accepting others decisions , just has to be one you agree with .
I as well attend live concerts, mostly classical.  Been through many systems over the years...ridiculous amounts of money!  There are many paths to satisfaction, various priorities and expectations.  My current humble system delivers one of the most accurate and dynamic presentations I have heard.  There is no BEST...just “variations on a theme!”  BTW, my 4429’s are of the Synthesis lineage.  They are much appreciated in the Far East, home of many exotic musical contraptions.  For me, coming from a musicians perspective, if a system can not faithfully reproduce live music, it is of little value.  
I agree and have been down the same path .
JBL’s just poped to mind , The "elevator crowd" is generally a slur on the elderly which I don’t appreciate .IMO it has to be un-amplified music but perhaps not .My route is the power one mainly as a matter of money and I’m positive
that Harbeths can do what can be done with symphonic music but it takes
power .
A symphony has ten times the dynamic range of a rock concert , takes lots of power or a a lot of efficiency .An EE Prof at Wisconsin showed me Maggies need 400 to really sing as a min in his lab ..

Ive never owned Harbeth speakers but I heard the Super HL5 Plus at an audio show a few years ago. I won’t forget it. Excellent Vinnie Rossi electronics and great vinyl. It was maybe the best I’ve ever heard before and since.