Going linear - The Luxman 507ux

No one panic, but I just picked up the last Luxman 507ux in the US. About 110w/ch with power meters. 😀

Ill compare them directly with my Class Ds at home. 
erik_squires
Hi @builder3

Yes, if the amp is actually closer to 90 Watts before clipping, this makes MUCH more sense to me.

Perhaps they underrated it to avoid the 1/3 power warm up required?

Thanks for the additional information.

Best,

E
Erik, I assume they are only publishing the Class A output. Not sure why, they seem to do themselves a big disservice. The amp is far from low powered. I suspect if you had one to audition in your home, the 507 would be soon for sale.
I suspect if you had one to audition in your home, the 507 would be soon for sale.

Not for the $6K I'd have to find to buy one! :)

Best,
E
I have the L590axII and absolutely love it. 
A few SS amps I’ve had in the past are Denon 2000, Yamaha a-s2100, tubes- a 300b tube, an EL34 tube, and quite a few others for short stays. 

The Luxman drives high efficiency GPA 604 speakers without effort with the best overall character I’ve heard in my system. 9 o’clock volume dial is plenty loud and nothing but clean. 

It also drives my B speakers of Dynaudio monitors just as well. They are not high efficiency and love lots of power. In my medium sized room I never see more than 11 o’clock volume with no sign of clipping or anything other than clean uncompressed sound.

I suspect at these levels I’m still not tapping into A/B territory yet, so I am not able to comment on when the amp is pushed hard. Neither speaker is a difficult load.

Unless your room is quite large with a difficult speaker load the 590 has plenty of oomph for most purposes. If I thought I needed more power, the next level of output I would consider would be an amp in the (quality) 200 watt range. As that’s most likely the only point it would make a meaningful difference.  

Having said that- I know your 507 is a killer amp- and there’s not much to easily better it

Just my .02$
Thanks everyone! I can see why the 590 would win hearts and minds.

TBH, if I hadn't gotten the 507 for half off, I would probably never have gone wiht Luxman. I'm very lucky to have gotten such a deal, but I can't see myself spending 2x more for another integrated. :)

I'm very happy I went with Luxman, and now just have to convince myself to give up my 5.1 speakers.