Going linear - The Luxman 507ux

No one panic, but I just picked up the last Luxman 507ux in the US. About 110w/ch with power meters. 😀

Ill compare them directly with my Class Ds at home. 
erik_squires

Showing 8 responses by builder3

I'm not jumping on board in any class wars, erik. I do think that if people want to see what any given manufacturer can do, it should be with their top of the line offering in that format, though.
erik_squires OP5,529 posts04-07-2019 8:37amAbout the 590:

I. CAN'T.LIVE.WITH.30.WATTS.

Sorry, low power class A is an entire lifestyle change I would not be willing to make.
About the 590.

IT'S.NOT.30.WATTS

Based on real world measurements, it’s over 90W/channel into 8ohms and near 160W into 4ohms. It’s 30W in Class A, then switches to A/B above that. I own the L-590AX, it’s anything but low power.

http://www.navratilaudio.cz/novinky/Luxman_L590AXII_HFW.pdf 
 http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/11/25/hi-fi-review-luxman-590-axii-integrated-amplifier-review-by...
Erik, I assume they are only publishing the Class A output. Not sure why, they seem to do themselves a big disservice. The amp is far from low powered. I suspect if you had one to audition in your home, the 507 would be soon for sale.
erik, I understand the cost aspect. My amp is the L-590AX, not the newest AXII, which had just came out when I bought mine. I bought it used, it looked perfect, though, and I paid around $4300 for it. It was a lot of money to me, but still near $5000 less than new. It took awhile, but I made up my mind that I was going with their TOTL integrated, rather than always wonder "what if".  I haven't regretted it.
erik, I just bought the DH Labs Red Wave power cable that's on sale this month. I've never spent anywhere near that for a power cord, but have to say that I was absolutely stunned at the difference. The most bang for the buck I've ever experienced in this hobby. The cable I replaced was their Power Plus, which was already a step up from the factory cord. So there's an FYI for you to mull over. :)
I realize what you bought, erik. I'm just saying the change was huge with the Red Wave cord.  More so than any cable of any kind I've ever bought. I'm not in an apartment, but our house was built in 1952, the wiring is far from modern.
Erik, my 590 is the same, no ground. Zero issues, someone a while back asked me about "hum", so I powered the amp up with no source running and started turning the volume up. Dead quiet.
On the power cord post, you don't owe me any apologies. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and make a pretty short post, comes off a little terse, sorry. Just the fact that you were buying from DH Labs caught my eye, they deserve more respect, both for their products, and their service. I was really second guessing my power cord purchase, it's not something I have much experience with, and the price was a bit out of my comfort range. And yes, I realize a lot of folks here would laugh at that. In the end, it was the most bang for the buck I've ever had in the hobby, and just wanted to pass it along.