Bookshelf Recommendations

Long time, first time here. Looking to upgrade my current speakers. While I know the best way to judge is by actually LISTENING to a set-up, I've read a lot of positive reviews of the SVS Ultimas. Does anyone here have first hand experience with those or a similar bookshelf at the +/-$1k price point?

My listening space is 12 x 12, with a Carver M1.5t power amp and CJ PV-12 pre. 
128x128carerra4s
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Elac speaker line.They seem to be very highly thought of by the reviewers.
LS50 is recommended by many, but be a little cautious. I have owned them and the wireless ones as well, one thing they don't do is timbre. Speakers like Harbeth, Proac, Reynaud etc do timbre, the LS50 is a all-around good speaker, but not for aficionados of classical or acoustic music.
Using B&W FPM-5's (with a sub) sitting on an entertainment center (with B&W short stands) in our 600sq.ft. music listening/bedroom, running on repurposed Denon AVR-X3000. And I've been searching for better sound. Purchased Elac Debut2 6.2, as a budget option -  they are not great. Both wife and 13-yr old visiting nephew immediately noticed the lack of clarity (highs and mids) during blind (not veiled) A/B session. Elac has much better bass, but there is so much missing information above midbass frequencies. I think they would be ok if that's all you knew, and could probably get used to it eventually (or with tone controls) - but that's not my goal.

Vandersteen VLR is outside my budget, and none on used market.
SVS Ultra Bookshelf $900-pr. (new) is a budget stretch, but worth a trial?
NHT C3 $730-pr. (new) for better value?

Anyone have an opinion or experience comparing SVS Ultra vs. NHT C3?

There is a pair so LSA Statements  on eBay for $900 or best offer, I've seen them go for $700. Has Aurum Cantus tweeter auricaps, mills, goes to 40, Exemplar Audio did the mod for LSA, I have some of his gear, he's good. I had the tower version, the monitor version imaged better.

Trenner & Friedl ARTs are supposedly absolutely amazing, I have not yet heard.
Stenheim 2's and Focal Sopra 1s are excellent.