Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66
I have to say, my findings match with the review.

I am trying to quote my prev impressions of the 3400 (the post I cannot find, since this thread is 14 pages long) and bring my thoughts about the 3400 to a closure.

The 3400 paired to my 300b SET tube amps are the best sound I have had in my system so far.

My speakers (Devore O96) doesn't like SS, so the 3400 as a standalone didn't work for me. Bypassing its amp section worked like magic though.

As always YMMV.

Everything in audio matters. Everything. Every detail. Impossible to plant down a Lyngdorf 3400 or 2170 in a rig, as is, and assume you know how it really sounds. We listen to complete systems, not a 3400 or 2170. The skill and real hard work is what you do around the 2170 or 3400 to arrive at the sort of sound you want. It can be done, but takes time and intentional effort.

This is true of many, not all, pieces of gear. This will be particularly true of a one box “system” sorts of pieces with the dac, pre and amp all in one box. Cabling and conditioning play a huge role. Huge. Footers, tweaks and proper operation also play a big role. I never turn the 2170 off. It sounds MUCH better on all the time. Day and night for me. Everything around my 2170 has a sonic signature of meaty, full bodied and intimate. I was very intentional about feeding and supporting the 2170 with beautifully and naturally toned components. The result is what I want.

I actually believe these units, when fed and nourished with rightly and smartly chosen partners, can always deliver what one is looking for. No system will ever be perfect, but I am talking about contentment and satisfaction. I am referring to using the total unit....amp and all. I think they are that neutral and exceptional. By rightly chosen I simply mean carefully chosen music mates that exemplify your particular sonic priorities. Takes work and effort.

My digital front end is all about meat on the bones and beautiful tone.....

Innuos Zen III server....known to be meaty and wonderfully warm and musical. SOTM USB reclocker and power supply also known to be less analytical and scoring high for musicality.

Duelund stranded and tinned copper cabling throughout also known for its wonderful tonality and natural realism.

Careful attention to the AC using dedicated AC lines, modified balanced power transformers that are also known for removing glare, digital nasties, and delivering a full bodied presentation.

Proper grounding is also very very important and the use of grounding boxes/devices is highly recommended. They help remove noise. Noise has always been the big enemy to proper musical tone.

Then we still have the room interaction. The room correction used by Lyngdorf is first rate and I suggest trying different mic placement scenarios to arrive at what sounds best to you.

I am saying if one makes a decision for a one box wonder, then simply placing it a current system and hitting play won’t get it done many times. Sometimes it will, but often more work is needed. To really get the most out of it takes commitment and thoughtful pairing considerations. Just buying additional boxes of gear to use instead of parts of the 2170/3400 is an option, but in my estimation they are expensive and more complex work arounds for a quick change.  

I am selling my Devialet 200 and will purchase a TDAI-3400. I’ve received some nice advice from folks on this forum, including @grannyring and @waltersalas. I asked Lyngdorf about MQA implementation and here’s what I received today (great news):
We are in the process of getting MQA certification - but as the 2nd unfolding primarily is a compensation filter for the DAC in question - and the TDAI-3400 does not have any DAC, they have to work around it for the certification. It will be introduced with a software update
@mifanning interesting info about MQA, thanks for sharing. But I'm very confused by the statement "the TDAI-3400 does not have any DAC." Does that mean it's not a chip-based DAC? It takes digital input and outputs analog, so obviously there is digital to analog conversion happening...