The most important factor in soundstage imaging

Everybody wants a system that images well. There are  many discussions here positing equipment changes that will improve imaging. Some people think the magic wand is cables, others are sure it’s the preamp, and the ones that don’t think it’s preamps, think it’s amplifiers. And, of course, speakers are (correctly) mentioned. 

However, the single most important factor in audio stereo imaging, is increasing direct radiation and decreasing reflected radiation, by moving the speakers away from the back wall, and away from the side walls. 
128x128phomchick
@steakster : Really? There's just no need. If you have something to say, say it. Otherwise, not helpful.

In my brief experience the largest impact on soundstage is speaker position but my system is already pretty well matched. 

Having said that, 'get them away from the walls' is not what works for my system. The speakers aren't right up against the walls but closer than most conventional wisdom usually recommends.
phonechick.......it ALL maters....but certainly toe in/out should be experimented with.
Yep, like the others I would add speaker position depending on dispersion pattern of the speakers.

i have found a noisy box to negatively effect the imiging too. A quiet box really helps. 

Gear seem to help from cheap gear to great gear. But very good to great is less so for me. 

What aspect of the gear do you think helps the most? Is it details? Timing? Etc?
Hi phomchick,
It is a wonderful experience to listen to a system that has a holographic image. You are right. Reflected sound particularly the early louder reflections can wreak havoc particularly with point source radiators. This is the largest advantage in using a dipole. Dipoles radiate in a figure 8 pattern with very little radiation to the side. If they are set up as linear arrays then they do not radiate up or down either! There is only one early reflection right behind the speaker. All you need to do is glue some foam acoustic tiles to the wall behind the speaker and you are all set. 
There are other factors that when handled appropriately improve imaging quite a bit. These are phasing, all drivers have to be adjusted so the sound of each driver subs included, arrive at the listeners ear at exactly the same time. The main left and right channels have to have the exact same frequency response curve. The curve does not have to be flat but the channels have to be exactly the same at all frequencies. The only way to achieve this is in the digital domain with dare I say it, room control.
Room control is improving in leaps and bounds. The best I have heard is the Trinnov system. Second is Lyngdorf's system. I'm going to catch it now but a tube phono amp sent through a good ADC (Benchmark!) then through room control will image better. Way better. Magically better. 
OK I'm ducking:-)
I appreciate the op’s post, and agree with the importance of his assessment, but ime, there are many more factors in getting excellent staging and imaging.