What does a Hexfred do?

I've seen some threads here, as well as some advertisements touting the benefits of Hexfred diodes in the power supply. Upscale Audio seems to think they're useful in the power supply of the Cary SLI 80. I'm always contemplating tweaks for my Cary V12, so I thought I'd ask: What do Hexfreds do, is there any sonic benefit, and if so, what is it?

Thanks!
grimace
Post removed 
rodman99999,   Fig. 1 is incorrect.  For that to work properly it needs grounded center tap of transformer.  

There are Schottkys operating at higher voltages.  60V would not be enough for most audio application since each diode in bridge rectifier is subjected to double reverse voltage making it 30V max.  In addition we need to count for some overvoltage making it probably useful to about 20V. 
I believe Fig 1 was simplified, and only represents how a transformer’s secondary connects to a diode bridge, as stated. "There are Schottkys operating at higher voltages." I have no idea, how old "QuikNote 108" might be. Actually, my only interest, was the paragraph immediately under Fig 1(which had no expiration date). That Senior Applications Engineer did mention, "With regards to Schottky rectifiers concerning LOW VOLTAGE applications....... almost all solid state preamplifiers, CD players, digital processors, tuners, high end surround sound, low voltage class “A” power amps and tube filament supplies." I have no idea what specific components the author had in mind and- I suppose, "low voltage" could be considered, a relative/subjective term. Contact General Semiconductor, for further information.
Post removed