Technology in speakers....

So... I am curious as to your opinions of the impact of technology and progress with regards to the design and manufacture of speakers. For example, how would a highly regarded and top rated [originally] $15,000 speaker of 10 years ago compare to a modern speaker? Would it compare to a well designed $10,000 speaker today or would it take $20,000+ to compare??? Or has there not been that much change and the value basis is about the same?

I know, it’s a broad conversational topic with no parameters. Just curious as to people’s thoughts on this. Considering that a pre-owned older speaker could be 40% of its original retail price - would you consider money better spent on a preowned speaker which might offer a superior value vs retail price or on a newer speaker that would have to be half the retail price of the comparable speaker’s original price? Assuming of course that one doesn’t mind pre-owned with some scratches etc. 

In short, if you had say $7k to spend would you pick a 10 yrs $15-18k speaker or a newer $7-10k speaker? Finally, would the answer change if you are planning to keep and use this speaker for a very long time?

Thanks for any thoughts with this.
denjer1

"If you had say $7k to spend would you pick a 10 yrs $15-18k speaker or a newer $7-10k speaker?"

At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd pick the speaker most likely to have the characteristics I was looking for.  In other words, I suggest making the comparison based on performance rather than based on some combination of age and price.   Assuming auditioning isn't feasible I'd try to make my guess as well-educated as possible, which might involve buying and reading a book or two. 

Duke

My old Linn DMS Isobariks loudspeakers from the mid 80's can be equalled and bested by loudspeakers for $500 or less that are new. today. IMHO. 
 @gawdbless as a two time Sarah owner, my GOD those Isobariks can ROCK !!!!!!! Glad to trade ya for anything that retails for $500

have fun !!!!! enjoy the music
OP.......great question....I picked sort of the midlife retail price for the 5a of $16K as a comparison w current Quattro CT...

in 2010 I went with a used pair of 5a in a very large room over the non-CT Quattro....Today knowing what I do about the carbon drivers ( I have TREO CT and 7 mk2 ), I would choose the CT.

Having said that 5a at under $10 K well cared for in an exotic wood are stunning....

Like Duke says, focus on what you are looking to do w system, sound going for, room, etc..try to audition IF possible. Have fun
Music is LIFE

Jim