Technology in speakers....

So... I am curious as to your opinions of the impact of technology and progress with regards to the design and manufacture of speakers. For example, how would a highly regarded and top rated [originally] $15,000 speaker of 10 years ago compare to a modern speaker? Would it compare to a well designed $10,000 speaker today or would it take $20,000+ to compare??? Or has there not been that much change and the value basis is about the same?

I know, it’s a broad conversational topic with no parameters. Just curious as to people’s thoughts on this. Considering that a pre-owned older speaker could be 40% of its original retail price - would you consider money better spent on a preowned speaker which might offer a superior value vs retail price or on a newer speaker that would have to be half the retail price of the comparable speaker’s original price? Assuming of course that one doesn’t mind pre-owned with some scratches etc. 

In short, if you had say $7k to spend would you pick a 10 yrs $15-18k speaker or a newer $7-10k speaker? Finally, would the answer change if you are planning to keep and use this speaker for a very long time?

Thanks for any thoughts with this.
denjer1

Showing 4 responses by tomic601

@gawdbless Never the less, tempting!!!!! Wishing you all the best over there...

i get two free checked bags.....
OP.......great question....I picked sort of the midlife retail price for the 5a of $16K as a comparison w current Quattro CT...

in 2010 I went with a used pair of 5a in a very large room over the non-CT Quattro....Today knowing what I do about the carbon drivers ( I have TREO CT and 7 mk2 ), I would choose the CT.

Having said that 5a at under $10 K well cared for in an exotic wood are stunning....

Like Duke says, focus on what you are looking to do w system, sound going for, room, etc..try to audition IF possible. Have fun
Music is LIFE

Jim
 @gawdbless as a two time Sarah owner, my GOD those Isobariks can ROCK !!!!!!! Glad to trade ya for anything that retails for $500

have fun !!!!! enjoy the music
depends on the manufacturer...but for fun consider the discontinued Vandersteen 5a vs the current Quattro CT......to some degree it will depend on your listening priorities and room. The 5a will play lower. The Quattro will work in more rooms and have better more pistonic tweeter and midrange with measurable lower distortion. Parts and support available for both from factory and worldwide dealer network. Thriving primary and seconday markets. Replacement packing material, manuals, etc also available.. This particular brand invests in technology and frugal cost efficiency, others may do same to greater or lesser degree.

these are perhaps some of the questions to consider as you evaluate other brands. So for example, Magneplaner would look quite similar. 

have fun, enjoy the music and whatever route you take.

Jim