Technology in speakers....

So... I am curious as to your opinions of the impact of technology and progress with regards to the design and manufacture of speakers. For example, how would a highly regarded and top rated [originally] $15,000 speaker of 10 years ago compare to a modern speaker? Would it compare to a well designed $10,000 speaker today or would it take $20,000+ to compare??? Or has there not been that much change and the value basis is about the same?

I know, it’s a broad conversational topic with no parameters. Just curious as to people’s thoughts on this. Considering that a pre-owned older speaker could be 40% of its original retail price - would you consider money better spent on a preowned speaker which might offer a superior value vs retail price or on a newer speaker that would have to be half the retail price of the comparable speaker’s original price? Assuming of course that one doesn’t mind pre-owned with some scratches etc. 

In short, if you had say $7k to spend would you pick a 10 yrs $15-18k speaker or a newer $7-10k speaker? Finally, would the answer change if you are planning to keep and use this speaker for a very long time?

Thanks for any thoughts with this.
denjer1
Thanks ebm. 

Jim, 
Great reply. So.... 5A was roughly 22k. Quatro CT around $14k+. Your measured reply poses a strong argument for the Quatro (assuming playing lower is not the top priority).
So..... Between your 2 examples - assuming similar out of pocket - which would you pick? 
Thanks,
J

I've had the $4,000 Thiel 3.6's since the early 1990's and haven't found anything that would want me to replace them. I am blessed that I can afford to easily spend much more than $15,000 on speakers if I so choose, as the Magico S5 MkII almost tempted me to do.
@OP, 
Another Vandy nut here.
Quatro's, would be my choice- unless I had a huge room.
I own the Treo's with a pair of 2wq subs- so I have about 85% of a Quatro.
Bob
Tough question with many variables. If concerning only maximum attainable SQ, I don't think speakers have advanced much at all in the past couple decades. Consider that most exotic driver types have been around for 20+ years now. Still, some of the most well-regarded speakers in the new market use fabric tweeters and paper-cone woofers. I've heard speaker models 30+ years old that retailed for $3K that can give some current $15K speakers a real run for the money. 

Of course, there have been advancements in design and measurement tools, but I think that's largely benefited ease of speaker design rather than speaker performance. It's not unlike the world of musical instruments, in which some of the best sounding violins and guitars were being produced well before the advent of computers. To my ears, the greatest improvements have been taking place in the budget speaker realm, where advancements in manufacturing tech and efficiencies has allowed production of respectable speakers at very economical prices.

Also consider the factory-direct pricing model that's gaining traction. I've recently realized that at least one of these manufacturers is essentially offering 100% greater value by cutting out the middle man. Their $3K model easily competes with most $6K speakers sold through a traditional dealer network. 

If one has $8K to drop on a pair of speakers, rather than take a gamble on a used pair that retailed for $20K, that person might be better off getting similar value by going the factory-direct route. Most of these manufacturers are offering low-risk (one-way shipping cost) 30/45/60 day in-home trials and very competitive warranties. 

Lastly, consider that just because a speaker was at one time expensive, doesnt mean it was ever any good. There are plenty of overpriced/underperforming speakers on the market.