Preamps

I'm not unhappy with the Jeff Rowland Corus preamp,  but I don't know what I don't know. I'm currently looking for a solid state preamp with HT bypass to compare to my Jeff Rowland Corus preamp. I would like suggestions below $15K new list price to listen to. I have a Jeff Rowland 625 S2 amplifier, Antipodes DS GT music server and Chord Dave DAC. 
ricred1
Have you tried using the volume on the Dave and skipping the pre?  It's an amazing piece of equipment and should do well.
elevick,

When I first received the Dave I tried it straight into the amp and preferred music with the preamp inserted.
Since you likely are never gaining your input source voltages, it doesn’t really matter if the preamp is active or not. 

How are you unhappy if you stated you don’t know what you don’t know? Try not using the pre-amp and drive your amp directly with the Dave (keep music at max level and turn down the level on the Dave. Compare that with using a preamp. 

A preamp is never improving the sound quality, so unless you need amplification or a different output impedance, a preamp can only harm the sound. If you get a good enough preamp, then any harm is negligible. So, it’s main duties are simply volume control and source switching. 

I am unaware if the Dave takes care of intersample overs; if not, it’s best to lower the volume on it to -3dB. 

So again, try comparing using the Dave directly against using your preamp, unless there is some crazy issue with output impedance, a preamp added will never sound better (unless the volume control on the DAC/source is poorly done), so directly from the Dave should sound the best possible.
Ayre KX-R
a superb SS preamp from a now departed genius
... and a fanatical implementation of volume control