Who makes great active preamps ? Tube or solid state or hybrid.

It appears, it is not Pass, Rowland, even Lamm etc. Who then ? 
I heard about Ypsilon, though some say it is a little bright and forward sounding.
inna
Jond mentioned the Aldo preamp from Deja Vu Audio (in Tyson's Corner Virginia).  These are custom built to fit whatever particular need you have.  Mine is built with remotely controlled volume and two Daven pots for balance control.  It also is fully transformer coupled (has output transformers) so it can only be used with suitable amplifiers (I use an Aldo-built amp with compatible input transformers, it will also work with my Audio Note Kageki amplifiers).  This is quite a good sounding preamp.  I own two other linestage/preamps--an Emotive Audio Epifania tube linestage and a solid state Levinson No. 32 preamp.

I have heard, and also like, Audio Note preamps, but, the lack of remote control for volume is a deal killer for me.  The same goes with the terrific sounding Kondo linestages. 

Although I have less experience with other linestages and preamps than those mentioned above, I have heard decent systems that included the Veloce battery-powered tube linestage, and Atmasphere linestages.  

In the solid state realm, the only linestage that sounded truly great to me was the Lyra Connoisseur (I heard the linestage and phono preamp together).  
Having recently experienced what a major IC upgrade can mean, I wonder what ICs the negative commenters were using

Anyway of you are on a sub $1500 budget, you might get lucky and find a used Audio Alchemy DDP-1 + PS 5. It is a balanced design (also has rca outs) with built in dac; MSRP ~ $2600

For amps and preamps, I still go with VAC, Shindo, Jadis and Lamm.  I think Lamm's LL1.1 qualifies as a great preamp, and while I love my VAC amp, my Lamm monos might have been just a little more refined in some respects (not that the VAC isn't).
Do not forget the 10Y of Thomas Mayer to match the best as Shindo, Kondo, Audio Note