Stage III Concepts Cables - Any Advice/Feedback/Thoughts is deeply appreciated.

I have a mixed loom of Stage III Concepts Cables on loan to me from a local dealer and need some help.  
There is hardly any user/owner/member/end used type of info out there so I wanted to reach out. 

Here is what I am demoing now and below is the why...

Stage III Concepts GRYPHON XLR 1.5m Interconnects   
Stage III Concepts MAGNUS 3.0m Speaker Cables
Stage III Concepts MINOTAUR 2.0m Power Cable
Stage III Concepts KRAKEN 1.5m Power Cable

Here is the why:

I received my new Magico S5 MK II Speakers 2 weeks ago upgraded from the original S5's.  
I wanted to upgrade my pre and amp but was waiting to hear my new S5 MK II's with my present gear first. 

Magico S5 MK II Speakers
Pass Labs X250.8 amp
Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 pre
Bricasti M1SE w/built in ethernet media player
SGC sonicTransporter ethernet Roon server w/Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS
Kubala-Sosna Emotion Full Loom 

I loved my new speakers and so sold both my Pass X250.8 amp and my Simaudio P8 pre.
I bought Pass Labs XA-160.8 Monoblocks and was driving them direct with my Bricasti M1SE as pre/dac.

I was happy and while looking for a pre I stumbled into a local guy that had a Soulution 530 Integrated.
I thought you know what lets try it and if I like it then I will sell or trade my Pass mono's for a pre or use 530's preouts.

To make a long story longer I put it in my system and low and behold I like the Pass amps better. Maybe not a huge surprise as Pass gear is killer but then I phoned the local Soulution dealer to pick he brain. 

He told me the Pass amps should not sound better with S5 MK II's and it was due to the match of my Kubala-Sosna cables which work great with Pass, ARC, Ayre, Krell, etc. but Soulution is a different animal and needs a different cable. .
I thought OK here we go... Here comes the big old cable sales pitch but to be fair I called him. So I listened.

He loaned me the cables I have listed above to prove what he was saying was true.

You know what happened. Low and behold he was 100% right and they blew my mind. No snake oil but real results.  

They sound insane and actually really good with my Pass amps too but the match with Soulution is breath taking...

Now I see why the Soulution amps are darn expensive. They should recommended cables like Spectral and MIT does.  

So with so little info out there I wanted to ask for you guys for any and feedback, or opinions.

It is really expensive stuff and sure there is some savings because some is former gen cables and they are demo's but still its really expensive stuff so I just was hoping I could get some more info from you folks.

Sorry for long write up but wanted to share my thoughts and my situation and ask for some help on these.

Thanks 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
fsmithjack, of course you know you system like no one else.  I am a certified public accountant, not a sales person, so this will sound, well, not like a salesman's polished spiel.

I do think celander provided sage advice...."I would be inclined to make changes piecemeal to understand the baseline SQ and how to improve it."  Its not that we don't think you should buy the Soulution, just to wait and first get your true baseline.  Repeating this, we are not saying don't buy it, just not yet.

Just running a possible scenario.  Do you think your new Magico's are fully broken in yet?  If not, there is a slight (albeit unlikely) possibility that when broken in their overall tonality will change in a way that what you perceive as the Soulution resolution now will end up over emphasizing the top end and you will wish you had the pass warmth back again. I did read a review that said the 530 will not emphasize the sound of a speaker that is already "light or bright" on the top.  

You weren't all that impressed with the Soulution with the first power cord.  What if there is a powercord (maybe less expensive even) that will elevate the Pass sound over the Soulution?  I know this sounds lame, but I wonder if your Soulution and Pass comparisons should be performed with stock PCs, then assume that the aftermarket PC would bring an equal amount of improvement to both makes.

I am sure you read up on the 530.  There is a lot of technology packed inside its case and it is fan cooled, in the unlikely event a repair was needed can it be done in the U.S.?  The couple of reviews I read were great.  I was surprised looking at the classified ads here that a lot of their gear is selling at less than half of original retail (sometimes more) so one would assume you are getting a great deal on it.  

Really just my rambling thoughts and good luck.
George 

George, 

Great advice and I agree with you for sure. There is no doubt that with stock power cords or rather (Kubala-Sosna Emotion PC’s) I much prefer the Pass Labs XA-160.8 monoblocks over the Soulution 530 Integrated.

I actually found that the Pass improves with power cables but most it’s overall character stays in tact it just shows nice improvement across the board where the Soulution is an entirely different amp which is odd and great at the same time. 

I pretty much have already decided to keep my Kubala-Sosna Emotion IC’s and SC’s because they sound great with both amps.

Sure the Stage 3 cables are better but not as much as I would have ever thought and actually the K/S cables bring some warmth and actually a little better base to the table.

All equal I would choise the Stage 3‘s but only after thinking hard about it but at $6000 more is a no brainer. Well I could sell my K/S and maybe it would only be $3000 more but still I like the extra warmth that the K/S provides.

Now I wasn’t looking to use cables as an EQ to tune my system but rather just speaking honestly about what I feel the differences are between these in my system. 

Now if you said to me to me I could get (2) Kraken Power Cables for the price of one - what amp would I take - then that might be different but two of these power cables cost almost as the Pass amps which is nuts but even so the Pass gets much better with the Kraken cables but just doesn’t jump out it’s shoes like the Soulution does. 

Just keeping my K/S IC, and SC’s is a huge savings. I’m psyched for this and not sure I would have got here so efficiently with out you guyses help.

I do want to get loaned a second Kraken PC to see the true effect of it on my Pass. I tried them with a lower level pair of Stage 3’s.

Part of me doesn’t want to because if I love them I’m stuck with buying two of those beasts.

Another cool thing about the Soulution 530 Integrated Amp is it has a really good phono Stage. I’ve never used it but people that know says it’s nothing like the throw in phono stages so many companies drop in their intergrateds but rather a true Reference quality phono. 

They say the stand alone Sountion phonostage the 550 which is like $18000 is only a hair better and it’s outstanding.

Ive never tried it so I don’t know for sure but it uses all those premium switching power supplies and top quality parts and it’s one of the main reason this amp goes for $55,000 new.

Me and many other with this amp don’t really think of the phono and are more intersted is pure sound quality but if you love the sound quality like I do and knowing it has this is really cool. 

I actully sold my entire analog front end to upgrade my amplification so now if I grab a decent table and cart I’m good to go. 

One guy told me the best thing about the 530 is it’s fantastic phonostage so I think it is a cool extra to this option. 

For records i dont need to buy a phonostage or another power cable or another set of phono Interconnects. They are all included. Cool with a capital C! 

fsmithjack, out of curiosity, if you don't mind, how much did you pay for the Soulution 530 ? How old is It ?
For $55k it should be a hell of an integrated. Gryphon Diablo 300, something that I would want is $19.5k or so with optional phono stage.