Daedalus Audio Apollo Speakers

Part I:

“Your cabinets are done--they look beautiful”. I wasn’t talking to the guy doing a custom kitchen in my mansion on the hill. I was talking to Lou Hinkley of Daedalus Audio. When was the last time your speaker guy said “your cabinets are done”? If you answered “never”, you may want to give Lou a call. It feels pretty cool. And based on the pictures I’d received over the past few weeks they did indeed look quite beautiful. The cabinets in question would eventually house top flight drivers, crossover components and wire, but for now they were just pretty boxes--very pretty boxes.

Fast forward several weeks and the cabinets, now cured and fully loaded, were on their way to New Jersey for the holidays. Well, it sure seemed that way--until one of them showed up without his twin brother. That was Christmas eve, and the next four days would be some of the most difficult and frustrating of my audio lifetime. Fedex, overwhelmed with holiday traffic, provided daily delivery confirmations that kept me waiting by the door, like a jilted lover left standing at the altar. At one point my little lost Apollo sat for two days in Ohio--a victim of Christmas revelry and the subsequent hangover? Once loaded on a truck he made only as far as eastern Pennsylvania, teasing me from across the Delaware River like Washington did to the Redcoats in the winter of 1776-77. Finally, on the 28th, he finally found his way home, inside a box that clearly tested the limits of Lou’s exceptional packing. Not to worry--inside was all smiles and my saga ended on a happy note.

Now those beautiful cabinets stood like sentinels flanking my equipment rack. Taking in the exceptional craftsmanship, careful selection of materials, and tasteful design elements I was completely overcome with joy. My outgoing Daedalus DA-1.1s were simply georgeous--I really hated to see them go. But the Apollo’s, impossibly, offered something even more pleasing to the eye. An ever so slightly more compressed and robust appearance--more Lawrence Taylor than Dwight Clark, for those of us who recall the football superstars of yesteryear. The proportions are so correct, and the multiple angles (only one 90 degrees in the whole box) so subtle that a week later I am still discovering (and appreciating) new bends as the sunlight moves through our living room.

Lou calls the Apollo’s his “desert island” speakers and I can see why. The size and shape of the cabinets suggest a pleasing appearance in both large and small rooms. Mine is only 13 X 17 X 8 and yet they do not dominate the space. Yet should I ever have the opportunity to place them in a much larger venue, I am sure they will project a confident presence. And then there is the wood--hand selected planks of quarter sawn white oak--including, at my request, on the baffle and rear panel to create a contiguous facade--gently stained to match our Stickley heirloom furniture and buffed to a satiny patina to reveal the complex grain structure of the wood. And finally, a simple, dramatic yet somehow understated inlay pattern on the lower half of the baffle--comprised of several exotic (yet renewable) hardwoods carefully selected and unique to this project.

The Apollo series represent the pinnacle of the Daedalus lineup, with three models that incorporate a new 10” woofer that is made to Lou’s specifications. Lou feels that this driver has a “special magic” and designed the Apollo series to take advantage of the speed, power, and smooth midbass response the ten inch woofer provides. In addition, the Apollo series loudspeakers feature extensively braced asymmetrical cabinets and deploy Duelund resistors and Mundorf EVO Gold capacitors--housed in a fully isolated and sealed crossover panel--to further increase speed, detail and refinement. Finally, the Apollo’s incorporate additional enhancements that are now featured in every Daedalus loudspeaker--trim rings for the woofers and midrange driver (a modified Fostex full range) that substantially reduce distortion, and a new tweeter from Eton that provides more speed and extension without a hint of strain or fatigue.

The Apollo’s, which represent the smallest speaker in the series, feature a clustered driver array that acts like a point source for exceptional imaging and peerless coherence, even when used in a near-field application. Also available from Daedalus are five additional models of varying sizes and driver configurations that utilize a custom 8” woofer and a subwoofer (BOW) with a passive crossover. (Not to mention a range of accessories and isolation devices that work wonders under DACs and other electronics that are sensitive to vibration). In sum, Daedalus now offers a full line of handcrafted loudspeakers that combine cutting edge crossover networks, custom drive units, and handcrafted hardwood cabinets--all brought together in the service of music by Lou Hinkley, a musician and craftsmen with over twenty-five years of accumulated wisdom in the field.

“Your cabinets are done--they look beautiful”. They sure do. And boy were they worth the wait.

To follow…..the set up and the break in process.

dodgealum
@ctc1

Yes, using a Herron VTSP-3A (R03). Seems to me this is a totally underrated linestage--the VTPH-2A phonostage gets all the accolades but the linestage is equally amazing. That said, I understand the LTA Microzotal linestage is phenomenal and partners beautifully with the UL. Lou shows with this combination and I heard it with the Zeus at CAF in 2018. The sound was excellent.
It does sound like your  LTA UL reveals what the Apollo's are capable of.  I have two tube amps that I am sure would make the Apollo sing.  They are a 15 & 7 watt sets.  My last question to you my current listening room is 11 × 12  do you think the Apollo's would work in that sized room?
@bobheinatz 

My short answer is absolutely! Lou feels the Apollo's are his most versatile model and can make beautiful music in all types of listening environments. My room is 13 X 17 X 8 so only slightly larger than yours. I imagine if yours is a dedicated space you may want to pull them out away from the back wall and listen nearfield. The clustered driver array means you will have seamless coherence in this application. Or, put them closer to the wall and you will be replicating my set up where I have them positioned on the long wall and am sitting a little under 9 feet from the baffles. If for some reason you wanted to go smaller, Lou has a model called the "Studio Muse" which uses the same driver array and an 8" woofer, along with some of the same premium crossover components. Always best to have a chat with him to see what he recommends!
Post removed 
Part III: Daedalus/WyWires Speaker Cables

Once the Apollo’s had broken in and I had a good handle on what they were doing in my room, I reached out to Lou to talk about speaker cables. Lou offers cables he has jointly developed with Alex Sventitsky of WyWires. According to Lou and Alex, this design is ideal for all Daedalus speakers; enhancing detail, dynamics, frequency extension for a very natural and lifelike listening experience.

I have long thought about upgrading to the Daedalus/WyWires cables but other system priorities always prevailed. For many years I had been using a pair of Dynamic Design Lotus Series cables that sounded very good--better, in fact, than several other cables I tried in a shootout scenario a number of years earlier. So I was eager to hear what the new wire would do with the Apollo’s and whether there were additional sonic heights to be reached.

I received the box from Alex on a Friday so was excited to have an entire weekend to see what they would do. The cables are relative thick and pretty stiff so keep this in mind if you have lots of turns to make--they can be bent to suit but just know these are not the most pliable speaker cables you will ever own. The fit and finish is excellent, with super high quality threaded connectors that can be swapped out by the end user in seconds. It should be noted that the cables arrived after spending some time on Alex’s “cooker” which I’m told substantially eliminates an otherwise lengthy break in process. I found this to be exactly the case--after 50 hours in my system I heard no change in presentation at all.

Let me preface my remarks about the Daedalus/WyWires cables by saying that with respect to the cable controversy, I would put myself slightly on the side of those who feel cables DO make a difference. I’ve done enough shootouts in my own system and with my audio buddies to appreciate the subtle changes cables can yield. That said, I firmly believe that cables should be relatively low on the list of audio priorities. Getting the room right, selecting appropriate loudspeakers that reflect your sonic preferences, listening habits and room size/configuration, and having good source material are all WAY more important than cables, IMHO. Carefully selected, cables can enhance system performance in meaningful ways--particularly speaker cables, which seem to have a more significant impact than power or interconnect cables. But folks who are trying to make speakers they don’t really like sound great using different (usually expensive) cables are, in my view, barking up the wrong tree.

So, what do I think about the Daedalus/WyWires speaker cables? Put simply, they really should be considered mandatory for all those who own and enjoy Daedalus loudspeakers. As to the sound, two words come to mind--”technicolor” and “relaxed”. I was literally stunned when I cued up the first track after installing these cables. I had be listening to Mozart’s “Haydn Quartets” (Quartetto Italiano on Phillips) throughout the evaluation process so went back to these to see what impact the new cables would have on the sound. I dropped the needle and when the music kicked it startled me--as in I jumped back in my chair. The sound was so incredibly real--such extraordinary color and vibrancy combined with amazing phrasing and intensity. And yet somehow the sound was less upfront, less in your face, more refined and spacious. I can recall a similar experience upon hearing the Spiral Groove SG-1.1 with the Centroid arm and Lyra’s top cartridge a few years ago in a familiar system. Incredibly detailed and yet much more refined than I had ever heard from the same familiar recordings.

In addition, there was a marked increase in the fullness and power of the bass with these cables. Tracks I had played previously with the DD cables, such as those from “Joshua Judges Ruth”, took on considerably more weight in the bottom end, with no corresponding hangover or midbass emphasis.

There really isn’t much more to say here except that there is a strong linkage between the insanely good sound of the Apollo’s and the use of the Daedalus/WyWires speaker cables. The Apollo’s sounded really terrific with the Dynamic Design cables that I used through the break in process but they became something truly extraordinary with the Daedalus wire. In this application, I cannot recommend these cables highly enough.

The last hurrah…..what feet?