HELP!!! I need a “GOOD-CHEAP” preamp solution???

I would appreciate the community’s thoughts about replacing my NAD C356 BEE integrated amp (it’s being used as my preamp) in my modest but nice sounding 2 channel audio system. Why replace the NAD? The remote no longer talks to the amp, I’ve already replaced the large pc board ($275) and it’s running hot with a dark brown spot on the blue pc board. Scary. 

Ideally, I’d like a tube preamp as I enjoy the “warmer” side of neutral. Laid back, spongy, non-fatiguing highs, meaty bass is me. Fast, accurate and transparent need not apply.

The digital source includes an older Theta Carmen cd transport to a Cary Audio dac (100 t) with a pair of vintage Mullard 6922’s in the output stage. Off to the NAD to a $400 Emotiva A300 (150w) amplifier. It’s a high gain (28db) and a bit forward/bright with my speakers. The speakers are my first pair of bookshelves. A recent move found the new man-cave just 11’ x 11’ x 9’. They are a nice pair of Focal Chorus 807 V W Prestige bookshelves. A sealed SVS SB-2000 sub fills in the blanks for the Focal bookshelves. Where’s the warm, analog tt you say? It’s coming. Zu Audio rca’s/speaker cabling with Acoustic Zen interconnects and AZ power plugs. 

Now, the big question. I know there’s a ton of options out there. But, what direction to go? Need to think budget (let’s say <$1500) Does a guy gamble and go vintage tube pre or SS used??? Is buying a 90’s preamp risky? For example, a CJ/AR/PSAudio/Classe/McCormick DNA etc. What sounds good? (I know, I know) is reliable and fun to listen to. A pre that might have good synergy with the extended highs and metal tweets (Al/Mag) of the Focals???

Is there a good used, inexpensive and dependable “sleeper” of a preamp (ss or tube) that you like???
keeferdog
Here it is...............drum roll..........get a DAC with volume control............you can thank me later.......
@keeferdog                                                                                               Add another rec for Van Alstine equipment. Frank builds three  preamps; the solid state Vision as well as the tube based Transcendence 10 and FET Valve CFR. I had an earlier SS version for several years then traded up to a T10 two years ago. Great synergy paired with a Van Alstine SS amp. The sound is  smooth,natural and detailed. The base price is $900 and you can add options  such as a remote, their excellent phono stage and tone and balance controls. If you call with a question, Frank often answers the phone. Well worth consideration
@maine95 
After seeing all the positive recommendations for Van Alstine, I actually called yesterday and Frank answered all of my questions. We spoke about the T 10 RB pre. It has (2 preouts) that I need. As you mentioned, it can be ordered with the same phono pre he sells as a stand alone unit for $100 less if ordered installed in the preamp. Remotes are always nice too!

Thanks everyone for the heads up on the many great “value” preouts on the market. 
I live about 10 miles from Van Alstine .Twice I have had problem with 2 of his pre-amps both of which were MY Fault!   .Went to Frank , he himself fixed them both within an hour whilst I listened to his system .
Total cost was zero !
As he says himself , "I don’t know everything but what I do know, I know well".
@schubert When I called Frank yesterday, he definitely had his stereo volume up and enjoying some type of guitar tune. It’s what you do when it’s -20 out in the dead of winter. I should know, I just moved from Marquette, Mi (I’ve never been happier) and “you guys” can have those long, cold winters. 

So, how do you like those two preamps you own? Love to hear your thoughts and impressions. 

Thanks