My findings on Magico V2.....what now?

Hi guys, I've finally managed to make a 250km trip to audition the Magico V2. The V2's were driven by Soulution 740 preamp and 710 power amp (each costing $40k and highly acclaimed by JV of TAS). The source used was a Soulution 745 disc player. So...the sound was G-R-E-A-T...but I sat there in the auditioning chair like a rock. To my surprise, I found myself unmoved and unstirred. By the 4th CD, I started to get bored. I felt almost none of the wonderful emotions I got when I auditioned the Avantgarde Uno G2 driven by Audio Note Meishu SET amp.

Should this experience be conclusive and enough for me to make my decision? Should I explore the V2 with other amps, say, the Pass XA100.5? As great as the Soulution combo is, they sounded sterile to me. And unfortunately the Magico dealer carries only a couple of brands for amps so I can't make any A/B comparison.
jtein
Just move on. Personally I think Soulution amps are the best money can buy. I have heard the M5 with Spectral amps and CDP but was underwhelmed. But that could just be my taste. Wilson Audio and Verity Audio are more my cup of tea.

Lucky for us audiophiles there are many different kinds of tea. So we can all find a flavour we like.
I haven't heard the V2, but I have heard the V3 and M5 with the Spectral DMA-360 Series II... I compared them with my MartinLogan Odysseys driven by my Spectral DMA-250 and the V3s were nice but nothing like my electrostats. Nice but boring comparatively speaking, is how I would describe it. Personally, I think it's very difficult to beat panel speakers when it comes to reproducing live music. On the other hand, the M5s simply outclassed my speakers by a wide margin.

I was in the market to purchase the V3s and I bought the Spectral amps instead.
Reading the responses in this thread, I'm rather mystified why perhaps one of the most basic truths when it comes to speakers has not been put forward as an explanation, or at least mentioned. One of the first things I learned as I was entering the world of audiophilia over a decade ago, is that most, if not all, speakers can be classified as either "musical" or "analytical." Likewise, most people will have a preference for either the former or the latter. To someone like me, who is 100% in the musical speaker camp, no speaker that lacks musicality could ever sound good, even if it has a six digit price, regardless of associated gear, save some extreme mismatching.

I will never forget when years ago I went to Sound by Singer in NYC to audition some speakers and amps. I listened to 3 speakers: Audio Physics (I think it was Virgo, but I'm not sure), Focal Mini Utopia Be and Thiel (I believe the previous version of the CS2.4). The Audio Physics was forgettable from the start, the Thiel so analytical it was just sterile. I was listening to Peter Gabriel's SO album and Sledgehammer song and I remember I could hear incredible detail with the Thiel. I also found myself LISTENING FOR the detail without realizing it. And then came the Focal Utopia. Without realizing it, I started tapping my foot and I was just saying to myself, "Damn this song rocks!" My whole body was simply responding to the music with no conscious effort. Since then I always say, if the speaker doesn't pass the "tap" test, I'm never going to like it. But some people are looking to hear every possible detail in music reproduction and would probably prefer ultra-analytical speakers to musical speakers. One of my former bosses loved his pair of Thiels more than his wife it later turned out...

My experience was the same with both the solid state 300 wpc Musical Fidelity intergrated amp and the tubed 100 or 150 wpc BAT amplifier. The CD player was a Burmester model I can't remember. (Btw, the MF amp smoked the BAT so badly that I could never bring myself to buy a BAT amp.)

Since that experience, I know that Thiel speakers are not for me unless Mr. Thiel completely changed his speaker philosophy. I would not be surprised if the simple reason you didn't like the Magicos is because they lack musicality and fail the tap test miserably despite their hefty price. Look to speakers that are known for their musicality such as Sonus Faber, Focal, Vandersteen or Rockport instead of racking your brains whether a different cable or amp might miraculously unveil what's been so completely missing.
Jtein,

I see you have asked several times about Thiel 3.7s. I was waiting for someone that owned them to chime in but no one has so here are my thoughts. I have heard them a few times (at the dealer) in a nothing special set up and they sounded GREAT every time. I have not heard magicos line but to my ear I like the 3.7 much better than the Wilson Audio alternative (Sophia) and many other brands I demoed. Im sure you have read the reviews on the 3.7s so I won't go into details but I will say it is one of the first (well only lol) speakers I have heard where I agree with the gushing reviews 100%.

But the thing I liked about them is what turns a lot of people off I think. The midrange has a lot of energy (good tonal balance though) and tons of detail! They also have good dynamics top to bottom and good bass punch when needed. But could play soft and seductive when needed. All in all they just seemed to breath life and sound natural. They would be well worth a demo and it would save you money too. That is if buying a $12,000 pair of speakers can be considered saving money....