Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
bighempin2 - forgot to ask, did PS Audio have their speaker prototypes in the listening room when you were there, as Paul mentioned in one of his videos?  I was out there in October and no such luck but they had just moved.
hi guys,  it was great having bighemp here and really introducing him to what a properly set up home system can do.  thanks Jafant for your kind words.   so much of the thread has been about the updates that TT and others are working on,  and truthfully a lot of it was over my head and i also know that the .7 speakers will not be seeing any mods anytime soon.  I am so blessed to have been able to get the 3.7's from Rob last April and they have continued to improve.  Of course in my opinion,  a big part of the improved sound is the addition of the P15 and then P20 power plants.  gosh those are indispensable to a good system.   Thosb asked about what i will do when the new PS speakers come out.  They are probably the only things that would make me give up my 3.7's,  but i hating changing speakers versus amps, preamps, etc.  my whole system is dialed in for Thiel and has been for 35 years.  The only reason i would consider the new PS speakers is that they will be matched with my all PS system.

Jafant asked about  cd recommendations (I do not stream at home or play vinyl as cds are so great through the now sadly out of production PS player).  i would suggest Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Allison Krause.   Have had it for years and when i played it last week i was knocked over.   it was like it had been remastered the sound was so much better.  same for Old Kit Bag by Richard Thompson.  a killer album for sure.  the truth is that with the improvements i have made over the last year or so (MG Audio speaker cable among others) that many  cds that used to be good sounding now sound great.  what a wonderful hobby.  may we all live long and prosper and enjoy our wonderful audio systems.
Tomthiel;
i little more about my CS5’s: serial numbers 183/184 probably make them fairly early production.
previous owner informed they were sent to a Maryland authorized Thiel tech for upgrades, namely woofers and internal wiring for what he termed “converting them to the CS5i option”.  There is no exterior evidence and no paperwork to back this up.
When I had them at 8’ apart, 2’ from front wall pointed straight there was no cohesion/distinguishing sources to the imaging
Toeing them in focused the image but only to the extent that I seemingly got 3 very point sources of  sound.  For the left/right, I would say it was the opposite of speakers disappearing .
moving them 4’ out from front wall 8’ apart with toe in changed the center image and gave it depth but the left/right were still very point sourced.
tonight I bridge the amps and try a wider stance with more toe in.
i am going to be at this for a while...till I get it right.
positive side effect is the muscles are getting a workout, these are REALLY that heavy!

jacksky
Thank You for citing your serial numbers (S/N).  Good to read that your experimenting with speaker placement is going well. Keep dialing in those CS5i loudspeakers. 

Happy Listening!
beetlemania
Today I had a second audition with AYRE featuring the DX-5 universal player matched to the AX-5 Twenty integrated amp. Only the DX-5 and QX-5 Twenty were changed out- all other gear and cabling remained the same as my first audition. CD and SACD were evaluated as I do not have prior experience with this company's disc spinners.
As always, I begin my session with my long time reference CD Jamie Cullum "Twentysomething". I also end my session with this CD. Comparing selections against the QX-5 Twenty, the DX-5, provided even greater micro detail, subtle and sublime. I have owned this disc since 2004, listened to it hundreds of times (at least) yet there were nuances never heard previously.  Next were my Rock preferences for evaluating systems- Pearl Jam "Ten". Favorite track for such conditions, Oceans.
Listen for the dynamic timpani strikes (clean, clear, musical, sharp contrast). Nirvana "Unplugged- Live in New York" Favorite track, All Apologies. The DX-5 need not apologize for anything here. The cello is perfect and sublime in presentation. I felt a strong sense of Dave Grohl holding back his hard hitting drummer skills for a more delicate approach via Hot Rod Stix in hand. Tracy Chapman "S/T" favorite track, Fast Car.
The beauty of an acoustic guitar was enjoyed without any distortion. The Bass pluck at the end of this song, sublime, not boomy. Natalie Merchant "Tigerlily" favorite track, Carnival. All songs on her debut album are well crafted and recorded. Excellent instrumental separation yet delicate voice and percussion undertones heard. The ending was perfectly clear and cross talk discernable without congestion.
Onto SACD- Alan and myself experienced a hiccup here. He does not own any SACD discs so today was the first time the player had a disc in play. I was able to enjoy (1) disc, Journey greatest hits single-layer (not a hybrid). Kind of Blue single layer, The Police single layer (entire catalog) and Twentysomething would not engage?  The player scrolled the word, unknown, followed by stop in the led display. I did enjoy the Journey disc from start to finish without any glitches. I have always enjoyed the sharp contrast in playing styles from Anysley Dunbar and Steve Smith on songs "Don't stop Believin'" , "Wheel in the Sky". The drums and percussion were very well recorded on these tracks the PRaT is perfect. It is easy to pick up on Smith's jazz drumming undertones built into a Rock structured song.  I must agreed with Beetle regarding the AX-5 Twenty, musical, is the correct descriptor. Extremely musical is a better descriptor. 
This duo is neutral with a touch of warmth. Cold, forward, hot, laid back,
was not appreciated with the DX-5. More to follow on the SACD playback issue.  Happy Listening!