What are the best speakers you have ever owned and why?

I just recently recieved my long awaited Shahinian Diapason 2’s from Vasken And they are absolutely spectacular! This got me thinking about my long journey to get here. Bless my wife for putting up with the many many many speakers that have passed through. The lifelong saga began with Magneoan MG 1’s back in college which were replaced by Dahlquist DQ 10’s. Then we traveled down a long road of speakers and systems. Magnepan Tympanis, Misson 770, Randall Rsch DQ10’s, Quad ESL single and stacked, Acoustat II, rogers LS3/5A’s, Linn Isobarik’s (2 pairs) B&W 801 Matrix, Hales Signature, Martin Logan Monolith2, Apogee Scintilla (1 ohm) Apogee Full Range, Theil SC 5A, Egglestonworks Andra, B&W Nautilius 801,Quad 63 and some I’m sure I forgot! Each speaker had its virtues and flaws but oh what a fun and a times frustrating trek! I think I have finally found my speaker to take me to retirement they do everything that I value wonderfully . They are detailed without sounding so, very dynamic, they have great low end reach, power and detail, are open sounding like a planner, their tonality and timbre seem spot on and they sound wonderful on any kind of music. Tell me about your journey!
hamr
Mostly lnfinity speakers throughout the years
  1. Altec Lansing (unknown 70s model 3-way)
  2. Infinity Quantum 5
  3. Infinity Reference one
  4. Infinity Kappa 8
  5. Infinity Video Series II
  6. Infinity Kappa 9
  7. Infinity IRS Delta
  8. Infinity IRS Beta
Most are long gone, but still have the Q5s and the Betas.The Betas are a truly impressive speaker combo, my favourite to date.The Deltas are a good second in a smaller package (2 towers vs 4 towers).

Listened to many other good speakers throughout the years such as Yamahas, Bose, B&Ws, Dalquists, DCM Time Windows, Magnaplaners, Polk Audio, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, Altecs, Cerwin Vegas, Martin Logans etc, but they just didn’t do it for me.
Special thanks to my mom for gifting me a pair of Bozak 302a while I was still a student in college. She personally hand wired the crossovers at Bozak in Norwalk. Others AR3x, Polk SDA 1c, Bowers 
N802, Thiel CS2.7, Vandersteen TREO, and monitor silver 300 (hands down the most incredible value, and currently in my reading room for listening with the Sunday Papers!). 
Nice to see what a long strange trip it’s been for all of us. 
  • ADS L990
  • Sonus Faber Concerto Home
  • Neat Motive SX2
  • PMC fact.8 (current bedroom system)
  • KEF Reference 5 (current main system)
Eyeing a pair of Polk SDA-SRS 1.2TLs just for fun.
OK here we go though I am sure I’m leaving some out. My journey from SET + Horn to high power and back

Klipsch La Scala
NHT Super Zero + Sub
NHT 3.3s
Hales Reference-5
B&W 805s + 2 B&W 800ASW subs
JBL 4350
Infinity RS-1
avantgarde duo
B&W 805s + 2 Revel B15 subs
Reference 3a De Cappo + 2 Revel B15 subs
B&W 802
Wilson Watt-Puppy 5.1
Thiel 3.7
Klipsch La Scala LS5+ 2 Revel B15 subs driven by Coiencident Frankenstein-II’s (7 watts) Simply lovely and dynamic with the new LS5’s with a sweet non-honk midrange and non-harsh sparkling top end.  The dynamics keeps me coming back to horns!

Note I have tried many different subs over the years, Wilson, JL, REL, AVS, etc but always come back to the Revel B15’s due to the musicality, low end grunt and extreme flexability of the 3 band xover + multiple low/high pass and notch options. Front end is PS Audio BHK.

My current speakers Proac D30R are the best speakers I have ever owned. They have great midrange. Takes time to break them in to hear their full potential.