Luxman Integrated - What do they sound like

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting myself a late 2018 Christma present or early 2019 birthday present.

Modern Luxman reviews are really hard to come by, and are generally just superlative without being very qualitative. I mean, it's all "rah rah rah!! " and no actual details.
For anyone who has listened to them lately, can you tell me what they actually sound like in comparison to other nice amps I might have heard?

Thank you,
Erik

erik_squires
I have owned the 509u integrated for a few years, purchased used for $4,000.  I really love the neutral sound with a nice bump in bass.  Mine is rated at 120 wpc but read somewhere it tests at 168 wpc, very conservatively rated and is dead quite.  I like the features on mine, tone/balance control, mono, class A headphone jack, style (I have the VU meters), great phono (MM/MC) and multiple inputs with XLR. 

The best thing I like is the 'separate' function button for external functionality.  At first, I used this for an external tube buffer (i tube2), great results.  Press the button and it runs via the buffer, press again and it bypasses the eternal component.  Then I swapped the tube buffer with minidsp DDRC24 with Dirac Room correction (2.2), this was the game changer.  I can room correct for 2 floor speakers (ESS AMT 1b) and it crosses over with 2 subwoofers (I think it adjusts the phase on each too).  I don't think most integrated amps have this feature?

Look at the prices for used quality Luxman units (not when they were on the cheap in 80's). They hold their value very well, similar to the used price of a Honda Accord.  To me, that says a lot. They have great Japanese build quality and people hold onto them, I know I will.  I have a McCormack DNA 0.5 gold power amp in my other listening area and I love it too (much less expensive used).  I have a hum in the DNA and need it fixed but I am willing to bet my Luxman will never need service.

Josh,
Thanks for your insightful post, sadly I'm really trying to reduce clutter, parts and cables. The need to simplify my listening experience is very real.

Not to mention the prices. While the 600 is a little more expensive than what I was thinking of for an integrated, I surely can't afford the 600 + a preamp, either financially or space.

Best,
E
On A Higher Note was the US distributor. Luxman is handling the account. When Luxman took over many of the prices dropped some as much as $5000. What you see from On a Higher Note is his back stock. Good prices but you can't order new Luxman gear from him.