Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Right, I have read every book I could find on Brahms , not just because his music is so great , but because his mind and manor are fascinating to me as I grow old .
I haven't ever read that Gardiner book, though I would like to. That's one to add to my  list, for sure.  
A couple of CD sets some of you may like, a lot. I do anyway.

Sokolov  The Salzburg Recital and Sokolov  Schubert //Beethoven. The former is mainly Mozart and Chopin and the second, as the title suggests, Beethoven and Schubert. Both live recitals with encores as well. Very high level of performances. Both DG CDs.
I recently discovered this recording of a few pieces by the Wranitzky brothers. a violin concerto, a symphony and a cello concerto. They are contemporary of Mozart. I have shown it to many ppl and everyone likes the music. The music is lively and dynamic. Feels like a mix of Mozart and Haydn. The Sony recording is great sonically too.

https://www.amazon.com/Wranitzky-Symphonic-Works-Antonin/dp/B017UBNXTQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=15...