Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
I'm neither a skeptic nor a believer in power cables.  I'm listening to my system that has about $3K in after market power cables from several different manufacturers simply because I don't want to not have the best interface to power I can afford.  But, I never hear any difference in my system regardless of whether I'm using the equipment manufacturer's power cord or the after market power cord.

One of the problems with comparing before and after effects is the fact that you're relying on your memory for the base line and then attempting to find the difference in what you're now hearing.  Not a very good method of analysis.

One of the problems with using test equipment to measure differences is that you setup the equipment to find the differences you THINK you might find.  Instrumenting a test setup to find "everything" is difficult as you don't know what you're not looking for.

As an example, I had a custom built, image processing system in a VME rack and it was not working properly.  I traced the problem to the VME rack power supply.  I removed the power supply and took it in to the electronic engineers to be diagnosed.  They found nothing wrong with the power supply - correct voltage, correct amperage delivery, stability OK, etc.  So - they said "Nothing wrong with it."

I knew there had to be something wrong with it and went in to talk with software engineer who was also an electrical engineer.  He said, "I'll take a look at it."   About two hours later he said, "I've found the problem."  "There is a 250 KHz signal on the power."  "That signal is having a detrimental effect on one of the chip clocks and disrupting its processing."

So there you have it.  The EE's who originally looked at it had a fixed set of power supply problems in mind and verified their bias through testing for only what THEY thought could be a problem.  The person who found the problem decided to look at the QUALITY of the electrical output and used a completely different test method and equipment.

Then you get back to power cords, interconnects, and speaker cable - you have no "test instruments" other than your ears and memory - and you want to hear a difference.

I can hear differences in speaker types and designs, and can and have heard changes in my system when I change out certain pieces of equipment.  But cabling and power cords...I can't or don't hear any difference.

I don't hear a difference, but I'm willing to admit it may be my insensitivity to the change. So, I continue to make purchases of power cables and interconnecting cables with the hopes that I too will be "blown away" by the difference....only, so far, that's never happened.

Some people do hear a difference and that's okay. If it improves their listening experience that's really all that counts and makes the investment in the cables worthwhile.

Sometimes I hear a difference when replacing a power cord with another, sometimes I don’t. I sell the cable that don’t bring anything better to my system. I keep the one that does. Then repeat.

There are times where the difference is right off the bat, to the point of being wowed. There are times where the difference is subtle, if any. It takes many trials, and over the years as the system evolves. It’s fun.

If you never ever found any difference with your new multiple cables you have bought, there is a possibility you are buying the wrong cables. It's a possibility. I admit, it is difficult to determine what cable WILL make a difference good for you and what consists an upgrade from your current cable. It can only be found by trial and error.

One thing that I recommend you do, after getting a cable that does make a difference to you, regardless of the scale, is listen to your system with your new (better) cable for a week. Maybe just a good weekend. Then switch to the old cable. Are you missing anything? Then you will know.
geoffkait13,634 posts12-16-2018 12:50pmSorry to inform but there is no electron transfer through wire. Electrons are for all intents and purposes stationary. What IS traveling through the wires is photons, which makes sense, right? You know, since the signal travels through wire at near lightspeed. Happy Holidays! ⛄️ 🎅🏻

Next up, do photons have mass? 🙄

Only if they are Catholic photons.
kosst,
I'm running an Aloia SS power amp, which I bought about a week and a half ago. This amp is in two pieces. One is the power supply which weighs about 80 pounds alone. The other piece is the amplifier portion. I believe it is very well engineered and it sounds wonderful. I initially put an inexpensive power cord on it (10 gauge) and listened to it for a few days, then put "my standard" aftermarket cable on it. Although not terribly expensive, it's an Oyaide Tunami cord, also 10 gauge. There was improvement in clarity top to bottom. Just my experience. 
I was a cable skeptic back when. Then I visited my speakers for no reason other than geekerie. I was super surprised at the improvement. I definitely think signal cables make a difference.  I can’t see power cables doing anything though. It’s just bringing your 120/60 or what have you from the wall to your power supply. BUT, I do wonder if tiny tweaks like power cables and vibration control can add up to a positive cumulative effect?  For me, I don’t think it’d be worth the expense though. If I was rich, I’d try it with good used power cables.