Do $2k speakers + DSP = $50k speakers?

Now that I have your attention, I’d like to share one of my recent experiments. Like many of you, I've never truly been satisfied with my system and often consider purchasing higher-end speakers. I have a variety of speakers in my house including small, high-quality monitors, and mid/high level floor standers and a few subs (all names left intentionally blank) from $2k to $15k. One part of me enjoys the flexibility of monitors while the other part prefers the full-range sound of floor standers. I have a mid-sized room with some strategically placed panels, but the room is average at best.

As a fun project, I used Dirac room correction and bass management, via a MiniDSP unit, to tweak the frequency response of my floor standers. I then used Room EQ Wizard to further tune the frequency response and properly integrate my subs. They sound “good” (and far better than they did without the EQ), but I suspect they’re ultimately limited by the room. I then used this result as a baseline to see how far I could go with my monitors (1/10 the price of the floor standers). I set up my monitors in nearly the same position and went through the same process. I worked to bring the response as close as I could to the floor-stander baseline as possible. I did not fully invest the time to seamlessly integrate the subs, but I must admit I was pretty shocked as to how close I got things when I A-B'ed them.

There are so many speaker manufactures out there with unique strengths and focuses. If you select a speaker with good quality drivers, a solid cabinet, low distortion, good off-axis response, and solid engineering behind it, is the only hurdle left frequency response differences? Can a $2k speaker (with subs and DSP) = a $50k speaker? Thoughts?

hifiguy5
@kalalid

I think Computeraudiophile.com already compared $1k LS50 with $4k JBL Cinema 4722 and said they sounded more or less the same after correction with a much less comprehensive room correction than DL (REW).

I think at 90 db and below provided your $2k speaker has perfect directivity and follows a good target curve you can EQ it to sound as good as a much more expensive speaker above 100 Hz, regardless of price. Obviously below that a bigger, more expensive speaker will have better dynamics. But once you introduce a subwoofer that changes completely. 

I have occasionally been tempted to buy a used top-end speaker from the likes of Magico, Vivid, Focal, etc. I think that in a perfect room without DSP, they will sound very different and have their own personality. However, I am starting to believe that in a non-perfect room with DSP and Subs, if a speaker measures well (flattish frequency response, low distortion and good off-axis) they should be able to be tweaked using Dirac or similar, to sound like an uber expensive floor standing speaker. It seems most large speakers use the same tweeter and midrange as the smaller speakers in the series and the prices go up significantly for the larger cabinet, low production and exclusivity. I love high-end audio and occasionally enjoy going to a show and listening to all the gear out there. But, if this is true, it is a huge “game changer”. I may have to conduct the experiment and hope it is not true. It’s probably time to start looking at SoundStage! Canada's National Research Council (NRC) speaker measurements and ignore my previous listening observations to pick out a few candidates.

I'm sorry but...I don't think so.

Subwoofer or not, I've never heard a monitor speaker throw out a soundstage that's remotely comparable to say a Sonus Faber IL Cremonese.  They simply don't "scale" like a large $50k speaker does.

Those speakers throw out a 3D soundstage that will make your jaw drop and ask how the hell is that even possible?  I've never heard a monitor come close to that, even the Guarneri's which are no slouch in their own right.
The Kii’s use inexpensive drivers according to diyAudio (Peerless $20 x 4, Dayton $16 and Seas $74) but do rely on sophisticated DSP techniques

This is typical even for 10K speakers. A 2K speaker may have even less expensive drivers. That the Kiis with these drivers and DSP came close to B&W 802 D3S does not reflect well on B&W. B&W tend to use small 1 1/4 inch diameter long voice coils similar to the Kiis even if their cone materials are more advanced.

So the answer really depends on driver quality rather than price.

Exceptional drivers with large diameter short voice coil operating in a large gap with extreme tight tolerances will easily outperform cheap drivers with DSP. These kind of drivers cost at least $200 each for a low cost version but can be as much as $1K -$2K each.

So if the 50K speaker has drivers that are commensurate with that price (rather than just expensive cosmetics - veneers can be exceedingly expensive), then the drivers alone could cost double the price of the entire 2K speaker and will outperform in power/dynamics/precision much in the same way an Audi R8 will destroy a Toyota Camry.

Wide baffle speakers are _amazing_ and less room dependent.

I wouldn't say the issue there is range, but baffle shape. A 2-way in a wide baffle would probably be pretty awesome.

Still, those Sonus Faber wide baffle speakers are among my all time favorite in the commercial space.